netlimiter ???

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

netlimiter ???

Started by Jacko, 31 October, 2005, 02:45:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacko

hiya
I run a small but happy hub on 0.3.3.0 build 17.08 with robbocop V10.01e as my main script but i also have triv & funscript and a couple of other little scripts running and all is running with no probs....I would realy love to upgrade so as not to get left behind but i unfortunatly i HAVE to use netlimiter for now....do all the newer PtokaX versions have a conflict with netlimiter or have i missunerstood some of the stuff i have read ?(
if I read this for long enough maybe one day i will understand

hutchenky

you can run netlimiter, it works fine with ptokax 21

Jacko

thanks for such a swift reply hutchenky
would any one else back that up  ??

hutchenky

Some say netlimiter causes problems but i do believe it isn't, mostlyit are the settings and scripts causing problems, peeps saying netlimiter crashes ptokax 21 , i don't believe that, and small hub owners like ourselves need netlimiter, and i think a lot of hub owners are using it

Rincewind

I have two hubs running (my main one on 3.3.0 and my development hub on 3.3.21) and have to use Netlimiter to keep the bandwidth available for them. I have never had crashing problems with either version of PtokaX.

plop

how about using a client with limiter??
works better then netlimiter.
for example BCDC only limits up/downloads, all other hub <--> client data isn't limited.
this results you being more stable on the hubs.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

imby

For me netlimiter did cause a crash with the newer ptokax versions. Only occasionally though, perhaps once every few months, but that really isn't good enough for anyone who runs a hub. Soon as I uninstalled netlimiter ptokax goes back to never crashing. I now use CZDC, but not even the most recent version since it's now detectable. I don't know why PPK made it detectable, most ignorant op's will never accept it, because it has an upload limiter therefore is always bad to them.

Jacko

Quotehow about using a client with limiter??

The trouble with limter within client is a lot of hubs dont let you in...I would rather not use anything to limit but my isp snuck a 30gig per month limit on me so i feel the real fix is to get new isp  :(

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by imby
I don't know why PPK made it detectable, most ignorant op's will never accept it, because it has an upload limiter therefore is always bad to them.

It cannot be condemned for ruining the DC++ community. PPK said that operators who disallow the internal limiter help spread netlimiter.

Moreover, netlimiter is KNOWN to be conflicting with many p2p programs.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

6Marilyn6Manson6

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacko
hiya
I run a small but happy hub on 0.3.3.0 build 17.08 with robbocop V10.01e as my main script but i also have triv & funscript and a couple of other little scripts running and all is running with no probs....I would realy love to upgrade so as not to get left behind but i unfortunatly i HAVE to use netlimiter for now....do all the newer PtokaX versions have a conflict with netlimiter or have i missunerstood some of the stuff i have read ?(

I use netlimiter with ptokax... and no prob :)

Jacko

thanks for SO much feedback you all   8)

imby

QuoteOriginally posted by bastya_elvtars
QuoteOriginally posted by imby
I don't know why PPK made it detectable, most ignorant op's will never accept it, because it has an upload limiter therefore is always bad to them.

It cannot be condemned for ruining the DC++ community. PPK said that operators who disallow the internal limiter help spread netlimiter.

Moreover, netlimiter is KNOWN to be conflicting with many p2p programs.

That's what I'm saying. You know I think the best way of doing this would be to include the download speed with the upload speed. Upload speed just on its own is quite meaningless.

imby

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacko
Quotehow about using a client with limiter??

The trouble with limter within client is a lot of hubs dont let you in...I would rather not use anything to limit but my isp snuck a 30gig per month limit on me so i feel the real fix is to get new isp  :(

You should fellow Uker, uncapped 8/0.8 for ?30 now.

bastya_elvtars

I thought all clients include download limiter as well. Or do you want it to show up in the tag? (Note: the DL limit is proportional to the UL limit, they aren't entirely independent.)
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Pothead

I thought all clients include download limiter as well. Or do you want it to show up in the tag? (Note: the DL limit is proportional to the UL limit, they aren't entirely independent.)
In dcdm they are independent.  That allows you to set a ratio, instead of having it fixed at a maximum of 5xUL (or something like that).
This ratio shows in the tag though.  Doesn't even show the upload limit, just how much of a leecher they are.  :]

imby

Yes I'd prefer both values shown in the tag. This should of been done in DC++ from the start since the argument for limiting is a strong one as much as people hate to admit it. Ratio still isn't that meaningful. a ratio of 10 could be a 512/256 connection limited at 512/51.2 or 8/0.8 limited at a reasonable speed.

"(Note: the DL limit is proportional to the UL limit, they aren't entirely independent.)"

Depends on the client I believe, BCDC wont enforce any limit on download speed once you've set at least 8KB/s upload.

Jacko

well i didn't realy mean to cause a conflict here ..but i think its fair to say ...you guys that mod these clients could make the limits easily defineable and we could hope that other hub owners and ops will read this and welcome some sort of limiters that are defined within the client....please remember that for some users limiting is a have to do and isnt just done to leech

limiting isnt just done by leechers ..some of us HAVE to do it for the good of our hub :(

Jacko

QuoteYou should fellow Uker, uncapped 8/0.8 for ?30 now

thanks imby

I will look into that   :))

Pothead

Who's that from ? Also is it BT line :) or cable required  X(

imby

QuoteOriginally posted by Pothead
Who's that from ? Also is it BT line :) or cable required  X(

I believe we've had this discussion before, it's LLU not cable :) It's RADSL so I don't get the full speed because my line is quite long. Get around 400 / 75 KB/s

from ukonline, google it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk