ADC devs likes you

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

ADC devs likes you

Started by PPK, 02 June, 2005, 14:24:32

Previous topic - Next topic

PPK

Quote[2005-06-02 05:54:11] doesn the BotINFO / HubINFO  addition, make a actual login not needed ?
[2005-06-02 05:58:39] It should, but which "popular" hubsoft is not in the list that supports that command ;-)
[2005-06-02 05:59:09] I assume ynhub ?
[2005-06-02 05:59:56] Nooooo. PtokaX, which happens to be the hub where it all started. It's possible to script the solution, but I doubt anyone on the lua board bothered.
[2005-06-02 06:00:12] hasnt that hubsoft died yet
[2005-06-02 06:00:36] Heh. Blame PPK for its existance
[2005-06-02 06:00:56] I swear, there must be a cult following it
[2005-06-02 06:01:51] That's the lua board.
[2005-06-02 06:02:21] yet one more reason why I dont even bother posting or browsing
[2005-06-02 06:03:32] in general? ;-)
[2005-06-02 06:03:45] on that worthless forum.
They know nothing about PtokaX (BotINFO / HubINFO is supported and used for pinger detection). And i don't have reason to make ADC PtokaX to be in ADC network with ADC devs like this :P And anywayd ADC is bad protocol :]
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

TecMaster

BSOD2600 ... smart little boy ;-)

[NL]Pur

AFAIK , both rabid or bsod aren't much involved in ADC development.

And for ADC protocol nothing is determined yet, everything is still discussable, and you know that.

If you don't like something or you think something is very wrong, just say it , it might be changed.

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by [NL]Pur
If you don't like something or you think something is very wrong, just say it , it might be changed.

But I am pretty sure that this harsh way leads to nowhere.

If I wasn't banned from DCDEV, I would already be in reply of this, now I do not react, because high spirits do not visit this 'plebeian' board.

As a hungarian writer said: 'Easiest thing is to bluster, because it can even be done in bed.' Further commentation is unnecessary.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Meka][Meka

8o i thought better of rabid, oh well, typical dcdev, they'll get what's coming to em, everything they deserve  :]
Do you know what \'nemesis\' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an \'orrible cunt... me.

Pothead

QuoteOriginally posted by bastya_elvtars
If I wasn't banned from DCDEV, I would already be in reply of this.
Sedules unbanned you the a few hours after you got banned. :)

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by Pothead
If I wasn't banned from DCDEV, I would already be in reply of this.
Sedules unbanned you the a few hours after you got banned. :)

Quote[23:14:24] *** Connected
[23:14:25] You're permanently banned from this hub because:  /Pretorian
[23:14:25] *** Disconnected

He may have unbanned my nick, but I have a static IP.  :D

Not that I want to be in there.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

BSOD2600

I'm not even a dev, so don't bother lumping me in with them. All I do is work on the FAQs.

Sedulus

He may have unbanned my nick, but I have a static IP.  :D
the IP was the first thing I checked.. nickbans don't usually make sense to me.
160.114.118.67 is not banned, and that's the last IP I know you by.

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by BSOD2600
I'm not even a dev, so don't bother lumping me in with them. All I do is work on the FAQs.

Still you shouldn't use the 'worthless' word for this forum. I tought you're not this kind. :(

BTW the $BotINFO support was even supported through script in the first LUA5 PtokaX, again somebody (RabidWombat) who encourages the usage of BTFW and RTFM and he doesn't even use these routines.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

BSOD2600

Sure, there are plenty of people who are useful/helpful on this forum.  There are also plenty of others who post things, just to stir up trouble.

These comments were from an OP chat....

bastya_elvtars

Sure, there are plenty of people who are useful/helpful on this forum.

Sure, but this goes for every forum, at least the ones without .htaccess. :P (Not URL rewriting is what I mean, hehe.)

These comments were from an OP chat....

From a hubs opchat you mean? They are still proving intentional lack of knowledge and bad criticism due to this.

BSOD2600

Do I claim to know a lot about Ptokax?  Nope (obviously).

This conversation which PPK posted from a hubs OP chat, wouldn't be so 'scandalous' if it didn't come from the DC Public hub.  If it was any other hub, it would simply be two users just chatting and ignored.

bastya_elvtars

This conversation which PPK posted from a hubs OP chat, wouldn't be so 'scandalous' if it didn't come from the DC Public hub.  If it was any other hub, it would simply be two users just chatting and ignored.

Now we reached the point I didn't want to reach. ;)

• The hub has a very bad reputation, which has its own 'mystic' reason. Sometimes weird things happen there, and 'vae outsiders', like in that very long Tom Cruise movie. :P
  • PPK is a very precious member and developer of the DC network, he has right to post such things, because fish reeks of its head you know...

BSOD2600

Now we reached the point I didn't want to reach. ;)
And why is that?  

The hub has a very bad reputation, which has its own 'mystic' reason. Sometimes weird things happen there, and 'vae outsiders', like in that very long Tom Cruise movie. :P
I'm curious of why it's perceived to have a bad reputation.  Mind giving examples?

Meka][Meka

well this is jus getting gay man, why not ... get on your bike......
Do you know what \'nemesis\' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an \'orrible cunt... me.

BSOD2600

I'm not going to defend their actions.  

It took bastya_elvtars a ghastly 10 minutes to get his answer, what a shame.  While him telling everyone to fuck off by itself might not warrent a ban, bastya_elvtars hasn't been a saint either.  Those in dc dev were simply tired of him and the pic was the last straw.

bastya_elvtars

Those in dc dev were simply tired of him and the pic was the last straw.

I just wanted to track down the high processor usage of DC++ and before I started I wanted to see whether it had already been fixed. Nobody was curious to my intention, and instead of posting a link they started to talk to me in telling-off way. Now in just wanna ask one thing: In which place is easier to tell somebody what NOT to do instead of choosing an easier direction. The not-telling way is only for masturbative purposes in my opinion. Or my manners are simply fucked up, and I am the one who is not in the right direction when I give straight answers? I never said I am saint and I know my skills are very limited, but hey, I am a medical student thus not embedded into any kernel, function or protocol.

Oh, by the way:

It took bastya_elvtars a ghastly 10 minutes to get his answer, what a shame.

Quote[01:48:23] Read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[01:48:47] Goodnight / godnatt / sov gott / weltrusten / Gutte nacht
[01:49:02] if it's a dev hub, we should perhaps assume he can *make* a webbrowser to find it himself
[01:49:04] Good night TeQuilla
[01:49:10] see http://dcportal.dox.hu/images.jpg

Please review your latest post, this is not 10 minutes but 47 seconds. What a shame you are discalculiac.

And, because I was called a motherfucker before, I think I was just paying back the loan.

bastya_elvtars

Unfortunately we seem to be missing each other. Better answer here.

Quote[14:37:36] bastya_elvtars: you seem to be timing the wrong thing in your response - from the question to the answer, not from the 'smart-questions' posting to the 'fuck off' image posting.

You should have noticed that I responded to a link with a link. Sorry for posting the link in a mis-understandable way. :P

Quote[14:38:02] it doesn't matter in the thread, really, but is a tangent.
[14:39:46] It only took him a week or so to come out with what he was trying to do ;-)
[14:41:42] Oh?  Was that the CPU usage issue he touched on in his post?
[14:42:00] I didn't remember him asking about it, it confused me.
[14:42:55] Exactly. It wasn't until that post that he revealed what he trying to do so that he could properly helped.
[14:43:01] If only he asked smart questions ;-)
[14:44:36] Oh, I assumed he asked for debugging help in chat.

You both are serious. If I had asked it, I would have gottten a 'read the cangelog'-like answer. Another reason why I didn't tell because I hadn't finished with searching for conflicts, and I have proven to be right, as it conflicted with one of my drivers, now the 10-20% is much more acceptable, especially with static 2-3 MB/s upload and about 18000 shared files.. Oh, and I use the 'crap' and 'outdated' CZDC++.

Quote[14:45:29] I also missed seeing Mutor's response to the original post.  His underlying point about being helpful is true, but he makes a lot of characterizations I don't agree with.
[14:46:18] It feels like a dysfunctional relationship.
[14:47:14] People don't always have the time, energy, or drive to do the "right"/"best" thing.  And since they're not being paid, I'm not sure you should fault them for being human or having a bad day.

I answered this already here.

Quote[14:49:37] I always thought a little bit of ruthlessness was a good thing. Tollerating the same questions to be asked over and over is not progress.

You know what? Then I do not want to progrediate.

Quote[14:51:22] Since there is user churn, I'm not sure that's completely true.  It's probably the best, pragmatically.

I am terribly sorry but I do not understand this since for the word 'churm' I only found one meaning: a wooden thing that you make butter with. :)

GargoyleMT

I am terribly sorry but I do not understand this since for the word 'churm' I only found one meaning: a wooden thing that you make butter with. :)
I meant that Rabid's ideal of not having to answer the same questions repeatedly is an idealistic view.  Since there is churn (i.e. turn-over) in new users, you cannot expect new users to have spontaneously learned answers to questions of their forbearers.  Specifically, to make sure the new users learn the answers to questions, you need to keep answering them (as well as improving the documentation for those [probably few] who will use it).

GargoyleMT

QuoteOriginally posted by Sedulus
160.114.118.67 is not banned, and that's the last IP I know you by.
As soon as I read the post, I unbanned that IP.  I probably only beat you by a couple of minutes.

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by GargoyleMT
I meant that Rabid's ideal of not having to answer the same questions repeatedly is an idealistic view.  Since there is churn (i.e. turn-over) in new users, you cannot expect new users to have spontaneously learned answers to questions of their forbearers.  Specifically, to make sure the new users learn the answers to questions, you need to keep answering them (as well as improving the documentation for those [probably few] who will use it).

No problem with users asking the same questions, they often get told to search. Also we are trying to make things documented here, and sometimes the inspiration to contribute is significantly lower than the inspiration to ask. You have spent more time on this, and work on a popular software, and we all keep this in mind, just sometimes this surfeit results in offensive replies, and this sometimes is not that sometimes. Now this topic is to be closed. :P

pHaTTy

.... try keep the chat real, if things start to go get out of hand, or start to become pointless or repeatative, then i'll just close the threads...
Resistance is futile!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk