I host and I can't share with users. Router problem?

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

I host and I can't share with users. Router problem?

Started by KwAame, 22 February, 2007, 10:47:17

Previous topic - Next topic

KwAame

Hi everyone,

I read the forum to find an answer to my problem, there's some guys that have had similar problems but can't find the exactly same one.

Here are my settings :
-Windows XP sp1 no firewall activated and no firewall software.
-2 compis behind a router.
-Static external ip.
-Internal ips : router : 192.168.0.xxx
                   Compi1: 192.168.0.1
                   Compi1: 192.168.0.2

I used to host hubs with PtokaX when I had no router and everything went fine.
I host a hub on compi 1, compi 2 has nothing to do with dc++ or filesharing.

Here are the options I tried :

DHCP activated port 4111 forwarded to compi1.
->Results : everyone can enter the hub, me included, but no one can share, search or grab the files of others.

DHCP Disactivated and DMZ activated (all connexions being sent on compi1).
->Results : everyone can enter. Users can share files with each other but none can with me, neither can I with them.

Entering the hub with both external hostname (blabla.no-ip.org:4111) AND with internal ip (192.168.0.1:4111) made no difference. 
I know shit about networks and router stuff so if there's some tips to know on how to configure PtokaX, The router or dc++ (or strongdc++) please let me know.
Thanx for your help ;)

KwA.

bastya_elvtars

Always enter with external hostname, forward the appropriate ports, and disallow the hub to reset your IP maybe?
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

KwAame

Thank you bastya_elvtars,

I tried that but now I notice I can't connect with my external ip. What's weird is that I can connect in the hub from a distant pc (using remote desktop from work i.e) which should mean that my hub is properly running. The problem seems to be my connecting from the pc that hosts the hub.

I unticked "Resolve to ip" in ptokax, is that what you meant by "disallow the hub to reset my IP" ?

Thanks again for your help.

KwA.

the-master

connecting to the hub should work through internal IP
problem whit sharing could be caused by a ticked "check user IP in command" in ptokax/options
untick it and try again  :)
keep on sharing :)

KwAame

@ the-master,
I guess you chose well your nickname. Just unticking that option made it all work. So final settings in case some could find a summary useful :

-Static external ip.
-Internal ips : router : 192.168.0.xxx
                   Compi1: 192.168.0.1
                   Compi2: 192.168.0.2

-DMZ activated
(Port forwarding + DMZ caused a disconnection from internet. A conflict in my router maybe? So I just switched back to DMZ with no port forwarded).
- "check user IP in command" in ptokax/options UNticked.
-Connected to the hub through internal IP (External didn't work anymore).

Thank you guys for your help :)
Take Care, Share Fare :P

KwA

bastya_elvtars

Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

KwAame

Finally, after a few hours, it began to bug again, and I was not satisfied anyway with having DMZ activated, so I started it all over again, following all your advices so now here are my final settings :

-Static external ip (82.226.xxx.xxx)
-Internal ips : router : 192.168.0.1
                   Compi1: 192.168.0.x
                   Compi2: 192.168.0.x

-I wrote down the ports needed for all my softs to work properly and redirected them all to the right compi.
-DMZ DISactivated
-DHCP DISactivated
- "check user IP in command" in ptokax/options UNticked.
-Connected to the hub through internal IP (External did work but no file transfers were possible).

So now users can share files with one another if they set their dc++ client up properly ("direct connection" with their own external ip entered in the "external WAN IP" box of the connection settings page).
They can also grab my filelist and download my files.

Only thing that's left is that I can't download theirs, neither grab their files. Though I can in another hub I don't host. But that's no big deal. The more important for me was to share and that people share together.

Thanx again for your help.

KwA.

bastya_elvtars

I would connect via an external IP and specify the same IP as Act. IP in DC++ if I were you.

KwAame

Yes, I already tried that. Didn't work. Because being connected as Act. IP my client uses random ports, so doing that I can't even download in ither hubs i'm in So I'm forced to used "Firewall with manual port forwarding". ???

Thanks anyway :P

bastya_elvtars

Well, why does it use random ports? I can set static ports here.

KwAame

Hmm, I've looked into it, when I tick "Direct Connection" the ports boxes become grey and I can't modify anymore. Is there another place to set it up?

bastya_elvtars

Modify first, then tick. It will use the port entered there anyway.

KwAame

I modified and ticked but on client restart it's still in grey and the numbers written in there are not those I entered first. they're just come random port. Do you think that even the ports written there are not those I entered, the proggie will not use those ports but the ones I entered?

bastya_elvtars

bastya_elvtars

Try DC++. If it works in DC++ then StrongDC has a bug.
In CZDC++ it works.

KwAame

Heh, You're right. Switched to regular dc and it worked. Thanx sooo much for the time you spent on this. :)

KwA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk