Feature Request, Share hiding...

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Feature Request, Share hiding...

Started by Requiem, 03 April, 2005, 15:45:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Requiem

As Typhoon? mentioned here, I will request a feature.

Like in YnHub ( but Skrollster told it was not perfect ) can we have an option to hide shares for OPs or any profile we'd like to?

Thanks Ptaczek & PPK for this beautiful hub soft...

PPK

Hide share mean only to have for OPs (profiles) in userlist 0 share (very easy to do) or/and with no search responding (it is not too easy but not hard to do) or/and with no connections to OPs (very hard to do for pasives)  ?(  :]
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

bastya_elvtars

This function is useless, as it introduces false security. And the OPs should be the first to share and upload. Use ProtoWall if you wanna avoid being busted. Even if you add it, PPK, make it optional.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Daywalker

QuoteThis function is useless, as it introduces false security. And the OPs should be the first to share and upload. Use ProtoWall if you wanna avoid being busted. Even if you add it, PPK, make it optional.

Disagree....why wld i choose to lag my computer with all this software like protowall or peerguardian for a simple button in PtokaX to hide my share.

If u can add it PPK...then add it, i like the option altough some opclients have that option to lately ;)

Keep up the good work Ptaczek & PPK  :D
Get in the night....Walk out the day :evil:

my hubs:
****v^^v**UNITED OP\'s**v^^v****
operators-lounge.servebeer.com:412
wdp9.no-ip.info:511
nl-dc-hub-2.no-ip.org

Requiem

QuoteOriginally posted by PPK
Hide share mean only to have for OPs (profiles) in userlist 0 share (very easy to do) or/and with no search responding (it is not too easy but not hard to do) or/and with no connections to OPs (very hard to do for pasives)  ?(  :]

You know what to do, PPK.. What I want is emulating what happens when I share nothing in the hub.. If possible, please implement this into PtokaX as an option..

Thank you for your all efforts..

PPK

QuoteOriginally posted by Requiem
What I want is emulating what happens when I share nothing in the hub..
Is possible to add it for active user (and is not too hard to do it)... but is impossible to get it good work with pasive user -> if hidding pasive try to download from "another user" and this "another user" want in same time to do download from hidding pasive then it fail and sometimes "other user" is allowed to download from hidding pasive :(
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Requiem

And what I get from this is, this request of mine is only possible to work perfectly under ADC protocol?

Requiem

I found that DCDM++'s share hiding option is leaky too.. When I try to connect actively or passively it doesnt matter, I get a full list of an op which is shown as 0 bytes sharing in hub :(

Herodes

QuoteOriginally posted by Requiem
I found that DCDM++'s share hiding option is leaky too.. When I try to connect actively or passively it doesnt matter, I get a full list of an op which is shown as 0 bytes sharing in hub :(
it says Hide share,.. not block downloads ...

Pothead

True. It stops people getting your share, but people who got stuff queued up, will still get it. :)

bastya_elvtars

The problem is that if you only send myinfo with 0 share you can still respond to searches, and CTMs/rCTMs, so your IP can be available, providing enough info to RIAA et al. Only IP-based blocklists or the blocking of unknown/unregged users can solve this problem. It is untolerable for me to block the facility to download from Ops. In TGA, ops have a share amount of 1.5-2 TBytes statically. Sharing is fun.  8)
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

imby

QuoteOriginally posted by bastya_elvtars
The problem is that if you only send myinfo with 0 share you can still respond to searches, and CTMs/rCTMs, so your IP can be available, providing enough info to RIAA et al. Only IP-based blocklists or the blocking of unknown/unregged users can solve this problem. It is untolerable for me to block the facility to download from Ops. In TGA, ops have a share amount of 1.5-2 TBytes statically. Sharing is fun.  8)

Concur, op's aren't Gods  :]

Pothead

The problem is that if you only send myinfo with 0 share you can still respond to searches, and CTMs/rCTMs, so your IP can be available, providing enough info to RIAA et al.
Doesn't respond to searchs which aren't from sharing hubs. :)

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by imby Concur, op's aren't Gods  :]

Yes, I said this, too. Legal issues are only when you share files directly from HUB PC, but AFAIK, it is enough to set a minimum share. If FleetCommand was here, he could tell how angry I am usually when ops do not share , and this is an equivalent.

Fangs404

i second this feature request.  i have a very large need for this (and i really, really liked this feature when i used ynhub).  i currently host a hub at my university.  we have to pay for our internet, and we're only alotted a certain amount of bandwidth per week to outside connections.  we have unlimited intracampus bandwidth.  because of this, i have put an IP-blocker in place that i wrote (with the aid of plop) that will restrict connections to only people that pass the ip range test.

this is great and all, but i have several ops that live off campus and i allow to be immune to the IP test.  when i was using ynhub, they would just type !hideshare so that users couldn't download their filelists or their files.  this was an excellent way to prevent bandwidth leakage by mistakingly downloading a file from an off-campus op.

sure, the ops can manually unshare their files.  but then they have to go through the hashing process every time they want to join a public hub.  we all know how tedius that can be, especially if you're sharing something significant like 200gb.

it may be tough to implement, but i feel that this feature would definitely be used not only by me but many others in my situation (i know i'm not alone).

if it's easier to code, maybe something like !blockaccess would be nice.  it wouldn't necessarily hide their shares, but it would block any attempts to connect and download files from the user.

Dessamator

well its simple, u dont want users to see ur share, DONT SHARE ANYTHING, keep it simple,
Ignorance is Bliss.

bastya_elvtars

Quotesure, the ops can manually unshare their files. but then they have to go through the hashing process every time they want to join a public hub.

2 clients?

ptaczek

Hmm this just flashed in my mind: if I can remember the DC protocol well, (1) the $Search cmds are dispatched by the hub, (2) the $MyINFO is dispatched by the hub, (3) $ConnectToMe and $RevConnectToMe are passed to/from specific user by the hub.
Forget all "what if" scenarios for a while and imagine a brand new virgin hub, where nobody has anything in download queue. Now set the hubsoft to don't send the (1) and (3) to ops from other users and modify the (2) to show 0 share.
If my calculations are correct, it will completely immunize the operators from:
a) getting any search requests from others
b) being contacted by any other user (or to send reverse connection request to other user, if that user is passive)
c) showing their sharesize

Tell me if Im not correct.
-ptaczek-

This whole physical universe is a hologram.
[Cosmosis - Contact: The First Step]

Pothead

QuoteOriginally posted by Fangs404
sure, the ops can manually unshare their files.  but then they have to go through the hashing process every time they want to join a public hub.  we all know how tedius that can be, especially if you're sharing something significant like 200gb.

Backup DCplusplus.xml HashIndex.xml and HashData.dat ?

GeceBekcisi

QuoteOriginally posted by ptaczek
If my calculations are correct, it will completely immunize the operators from:
a) getting any search requests from others
b) being contacted by any other user (or to send reverse connection request to other user, if that user is passive)
c) showing their sharesize

Tell me if Im not correct.
As far as I can imagine yes you are.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pothead
Why doing these everytime & and trying to update your XML files with every change in them instead of such a simple thing?

As ptaczek mentioned; this can be done just sth like
(i dunno programming a bit, just trying to show what is in my mind)
-OpHideShare (on/off)
	Options for OpHideShare
	(options are revealed if OpHideShare on)
	-BlockSearch
	-BlockConnect
	-ShowShareZero
 so everyone can set their ShareHide option for their needs and and if 3 sub-options are enable OPs have to enter hub second time with a normal user profile for enabling blocked functions.
Do you need an advanced user handling script? Download UserBekcisi today (Latest Edit)
Features: User + ISP + GeoIP database, user info + share checking and many more...

Fangs404

i completely agree with GeceBekcisi.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dessamator
well its simple, u dont want users to see ur share, DONT SHARE ANYTHING, keep it simple,

did you even read my argument against that?  that's a huge pain in the ass if you share any substantial amount of files because of the hashing process.

2 clients?

that is such a waste of harddrive space.  it's illogical to require every op and every off-campus register user on my hub to have 2 clients.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pothead

again, this is illogical and shouldn't need to be done.  why go through all this trouble when there could be a nice !hideshare command?

PPK

but then they have to go through the hashing process every time they want to join a public hub.
No, with good client is not needed to hash files twice. Only new files need to hash, old file hashes have (DC++ based) client stored in HashIndex.xml :]

why go through all this trouble when there could be a nice !hideshare command?
If you know how to do it _WORKING_ hideshare then do it with script :D

Fangs404

why go through all this trouble when there could be a nice !hideshare command?
If you know how to do it _WORKING_ hideshare then do it with script :D

you know, i was just about to ask that.  :)  is it possible to do it via a script?

PPK

is it possible to do it via a script?
Is posible to block search requests and connection requests by script... is not posible to change user share in userlist :)

Fangs404

is it possible to do it via a script?
Is posible to block search requests and connection requests by script... is not posible to change user share in userlist :)

good to know.  i'll probably just write a script then unless you plan to implement this feature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk