Requests

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Requests

Started by sphinx_spb, 23 April, 2007, 04:49:12

Previous topic - Next topic

sphinx_spb

Quote from: PPK on 22 April, 2007, 00:36:00
Release Candidate 1 for testing is here.

Full online PtokaX changelog is available in Wiki.
Hello PPK!
Can I request for some features? ;)
1. Run hub as service.
2. Auto-save settings at given (or any) time interval.
3. Add my hub name to balloon tip in tray, and to window header.
4. In script editor window, add the line number of loaded script, OR add the possibility to open a script in my text editor.
Because now it's very inconvenient to edit a script.

And, there is IMHO some useless features, which are just fill the space.
1. MOTD, in Network tab - it's very big anyway.
2. Memory used by scripts, in Rules tab.
3. And script editor - it's useless without feature I said above.

CrazyGuy

Quote from: sphinx_spb on 23 April, 2007, 04:49:12
Hello PPK!
Can I request for some features? ;)
1. Run hub as service.
2. Auto-save settings at given (or any) time interval.
3. Add my hub name to balloon tip in tray, and to window header.
4. In script editor window, add the line number of loaded script, OR add the possibility to open a script in my text editor.
Because now it's very inconvenient to edit a script.

And, there is IMHO some useless features, which are just fill the space.
1. MOTD, in Network tab - it's very big anyway.
2. Memory used by scripts, in Rules tab.
3. And script editor - it's useless without feature I said above.

Just a few comments on how I see things as a PtokaX scripter...
2) Auto saving settings --> This is done on change and on Exit

1) MotD can be made short as well, you don't have to fill the box
2) Memory usage of scripts is important
3) Script editor works fine. Maybe it is hard for you without line numbers, but I myself always use the script editor itself to code in.
    If you do need line numbers, I'd suggest to install Notepad++ from sourceforge.net

And if you talk about "useless features that just cost memory", wouldn't your balloon message w/ hubname be 1 of that ? I'd find it very annoying if I have a balloon message popping up

Naithif

Quote from: CrazyGuy on 23 April, 2007, 15:37:50

3) Script editor works fine. Maybe it is hard for you without line numbers, but I myself always use the script editor itself to code in.
    If you do need line numbers, I'd suggest to install Notepad++ from sourceforge.net

And if you talk about "useless features that just cost memory", wouldn't your balloon message w/ hubname be 1 of that ? I'd find it very annoying if I have a balloon message popping up

1.) The MOTD has only one problem - font selection (it's not default to ms sans serif 8pt (which is default in most clients) which makes it unuseful  :-\)
3.) Script editor is fine, it only misses the basic notepad function "jump to line", other than that it's good for editing (maybe font should be selectable here too for viewing bigger script parts)

sphinx_spb

Quote from: CrazyGuy on 23 April, 2007, 15:37:50

Well, agreed all but last  :) this balloon message already exists and say 'Ptokax DC Hub'. But I have 3 hubs and 3 icons in tray, and just can't realize which icon to choose...
And BTW, what about 'run as service'? It's very useful thing...

CrazyGuy

aha, you meant tooltip text ;) Yes okay, that can be handy.
About running as service, I believe PPK is looking into this :)

PPK

1 ) run as service will be possible in future...
2 ) auto save in some interval will be here with new settings manager.
3 ) with balloon tip in tray is problem that is limited to 64 characters :( hub name will be visible in future because gui will be completely changed.
4 ) option to open script in external editor will be added.

1 ) here is no reason to remove box to set motd, is needed...
2 ) scripters need to know memory usage by scripts...
3 ) script editor will be changed...

Quote from: Naithif on 23 April, 2007, 17:36:07
1.) The MOTD has only one problem - font selection (it's not default to ms sans serif 8pt (which is default in most clients) which makes it unuseful  :-\)
In DC++ case here is no default font, it gets default font used in windows on first startup and this font depends on user appearance settings. And i am 100 % sure that clients on non-windows platform not using ms sans serif font :P
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Naithif

Quote from: PPK on 24 April, 2007, 01:04:18
In DC++ case here is no default font, it gets default font used in windows on first startup and this font depends on user appearance settings. And i am 100 % sure that clients on non-windows platform not using ms sans serif font :P

That's why I suggested selectable font, and not something like 'make the default ms sans'  ::)

Typhoon

how about just have a txt file called motd and then Px loads that as default if motd is enabled of course, that would free up the GUI pretty much since the current window then isn't needed ?

Typhoon

CrazyGuy

Quote from: Typhoon? on 26 April, 2007, 17:44:44
how about just have a txt file called motd and then Px loads that as default if motd is enabled of course, that would free up the GUI pretty much since the current window then isn't needed ?

Typhoon

This is how it's done  ;D motd.txt is saved to disk (cfg folder i believe).. disable motd and the field will gray out

achiever

can some thing like AUTO-UPDATE be added to ptokax?
which will only add the changes of new vesion to the older versions if possible.

it will help greatly to shift to new versions, as i have done all the settings to this 1 its will be a tough task to do it all over again in the new 1 with coping of regs' file and scripts.

just a suggestion :)

thks,
thks,
achiever.

Psycho_Chihuahua

PtokaX already informs you of updates, and as you have to restart the hub anyway this function would be obsolete. windows will not let you swap a file as long as its in use. so my guess is "no, this can not be done"

btw you dont have to change around the whole hub when you update anyway. you just stop the hub copy the new files from the updated ptokax package paste them over your old ones and restart the hub - there's really nothing to it.
PtokaxWiki ?PtokaX Mirror + latest Libs

01100001011011000111001101101111001000000110101101101110011011110111011101101110001000000110000101110011001000000101010001101111011010110110111101101100011011110111001101101000

bastya_elvtars

PtokaX packages are designed in the way that you can simply overwrite your old version and the settings will be kept. If you lose settings when upgrading, that's called PEBKAC.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

achiever

Quote from: Psycho_Chihuahua on 10 May, 2007, 15:54:26
btw you dont have to change around the whole hub when you update anyway. you just stop the hub copy the new files from the updated ptokax package paste them over your old ones and restart the hub - there's really nothing to it.

does that mean replace all the files available in that package?
Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 10 May, 2007, 17:56:33
PtokaX packages are designed in the way that you can simply overwrite your old version and the settings will be kept.

what do mean by overwrite?
thks,
achiever.

bastya_elvtars

Extract the archive to your PtokaX directory.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

achiever

ohk thanks!!!

updated to new version :-))
thks,
achiever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk