About code stealing in DC++ mods

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

About code stealing in DC++ mods

Started by Naithif, 25 September, 2006, 01:32:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Naithif

I actually find a SELECTABLE ignore pm a good idea, as I don't care about all the slotbegging and AF addys (I mean 5000-10000 users hubs, and well, most of them doesn't care, or block ads via "kick_for_link" - now that's a solution haha - more likely getting people annoyed...)

And you see, hubs have minimum share, but NOT minimum characters to stay in, SO it's realistic to be able to select ignore PMs, or -in my opinion- even mainchat...
(maybe you mean i should ignore those messages i don't want - heck i didn't received a singe useful pm from hubs that's primarily for downloading - only crap)
(and because it's selectable in favorite hubs, you can chat in the hubs you want - notice the magic word)

Also share hiding is a good feature too
If I ignore PM's and only down/upload, that's a problem because I'm using the client only as P2P software.
If I hide my share because I chat only then that's the problem, because I'm not using the client as P2P software.
Well, REALLY logical...

Also FORBID people to ignore PM's in your hubs if you disagree with this... Until then it's up to people to choose and that's a GOOD thing :P :P
And if an OP want's to hide share why not? You know there are hubsofts made that have the same option integrated in them... Oh and it's SELECTABLE and only as OP so it can't be ABUSED :P :P

P.S. about share hiding: Anyone knows the meaning of the word: "Operator"?

Stormbringer

Naithif, then stay on a private hub, nobody will talk to you, so no pm, pm are not done only from slotbegging sorry
If everybody hidde his share then you can stop to use dc

One tips for you, stay on torrent emule or another shit, you can leech as much as you want without risk to talk with somebody, it's so awful to communicate with people, isn't it???

PS: OP doesn't mean that you have no right to share man, you and your friends kills DC and it's good that not everybody have the same conception of DC

Use your copy of Sdc++ (Cause apex is a stealing from Big Muscle works) if you are happy
Change an icon, and add one function in a client is not an evolution, it's code stealing, nothing more
It should be written during the installation process: we are not coders, we steal the code of others to looks smart, and have the possibilities to write yeahhhhhhhhhh I'm developper of a p2p appz, looks funny for me, or sad, depending on the point of view

Naithif

Triple lol for smart people

Useful addons are not code stealing, this would mean that BM's stealing from arnetheduck and he's stealing from the neo-modus original... And this way, BM's changelog's could be an interesting stuff to read...
Leaf through some pages on the net regarding OPEN SOURCE and STEALING, the two never comes together...
Jesus, you don't want to argue with Phrozen, author of IceDC++? He's work's based on DC->DC++->StrongDC++->ApexDC++->IceDC++

Also1: If someone want's to run a hub that doesn't mean he wants people to download from him/her, and that's fully right, as maybe downloaders would make the hub laggy, and again, if you don't like it, don't use it, but DON'T FLAME and DON'T ACCUSE STEALING...
Running a hub doesn't mean the admin's there for sharing, same for OP's, their job is keeping the hub clean...
And you're seriously mistaken, your last 3 sentence proves that you don't even know about what Zinden talks about (it's Xion++ not ApexDC++ congrats ;))

Also2:, I've said, nobody want's to disable chat for ALL of his/her hub... Just some, where PM's only include slot beggin and adverting, try to read next time

Also3: Only OP's are allowed share hiding that means hubrunners don't have to make the hub laggy OR don't be present in the hub they own, OR use 2 clients at the same time (which is only good for resource eating)

Also4: Selectable so if you don't like it don't use it, and neither of them can be abused

Also5: Private hub's are really nice too :) A DC++'s main to up/download - hubs's to link users together, SO if they don't let this for some people, then it's the same when I'm hiding my share as an OP... Please talk to "the-hub-we-all-know-but-shouldn't-advertise-on-an-opposing-hub's-board"'s developer first about that share hiding, and flame him ;)

Also6: Why use 2 clients, when someone can use 1? That's simply not logical. Like some people on the board say: "resource hog"  ;)

Hope this is simple enough to get...
BTW I'm not ignoring PM's and NOT hiding my share...

Pothead

DC++ uses the same protocol as NMDC, but none of the code is the same.  NMDC was closed source.

Naithif

Anyone said code?
The above post contained stealing at open source, so this could be as well stealing LOLOL

Stormbringer

For sure I know from what I talk, I'm on DC probably since more long than you, there is a category of client with new features, like Sdc++
And another class, with people who take an existing client to make a "new" one (Apex, Ice dc++, Xion, Zk++ and many others...)
This new "developper" only take the code of other and make their own client by changing few details, for me the fact that you have change an icon doesn't mean you have make a new client
You talk of Author for Ice dc++ Mlol, the word is not appropriate, an author is somebody who create something, he didn't, create even the most small things, he have use the code of others!  The word work is not good choosen too... Copy paste codes it's not a work, every asshole can do that.
Also, there is changelog with BM's soft cause he realy added a lot of functions, with Xion, Ice and Apex it could be quick done to read a changelog (I think less than 3 line of minor mods lol)
Op keep the hub clean, but they can share too, it contribute to the expansion of the hub... And when you include this kind of functions in a client all the user of this client will hidde their share, it's a sure thing.
Slotbegging can be solve by script in the case you don't know that...
Use 2 clients at the same time is not a problem, a main client to downlaod, a second for op features (3 Mb of ram it's not what I call resssource eater lol)
There is creation and stealing, I prefer from far give a chance to the creator and support the good clients.
It's your choice to support stealers, but everybody must know that (especially the noobs), that all this shitty mods are copy-paste

Naithif

Quote from: Stormbringer on 25 September, 2006, 11:20:50
For sure I know from what I talk, I'm on DC probably since more long than you, there is a category of client with new features, like Sdc++
And another class, with people who take an existing client to make a "new" one (Apex, Ice dc++, Xion, Zk++ and many others...)
BM selected a whole bunch of code, and from a whole bunch of clients copy-paste too, and it's nothing to mention because open source.

This new "developper" only take the code of other and make their own client by changing few details, for me the fact that you have change an icon doesn't mean you have make a new client
You talk of Author for Ice dc++ Mlol, the word is not appropriate, an author is somebody who create something, he didn't, create even the most small things, he have use the code of others!  The word work is not good choosen too... Copy paste codes it's not a work, every asshole can do that.
Better clients that are copy-paste 1:1 only with slot lock and fake tag, I didn't see you arguing in THOSE clients' forum, and there are a f*ckin' lot...

Also, there is changelog with BM's soft cause he realy added a lot of functions, with Xion, Ice and Apex it could be quick done to read a changelog (I think less than 3 line of minor mods lol)
That's complete MISunderstanding DC++'s complexity and structure...

Op keep the hub clean, but they can share too, it contribute to the expansion of the hub... And when you include this kind of functions in a client all the user of this client will hidde their share, it's a sure thing.
Slotbegging can be solve by script in the case you don't know that...
Those who stupid enough to listen they CAN listen... Otherwise block PM doesn't require the user to be OP, and NOT every hub's mine (what a surprise!)

Use 2 clients at the same time is not a problem, a main client to downlaod, a second for op features (3 Mb of ram it's not what I call resssource eater lol)
Not 3MB if you check something with your client.
In my opinion 1's better than 2 if you want it don't use Xion++

There is creation and stealing, I prefer from far give a chance to the creator and support the good clients.
It's your choice to support stealers, but everybody must know that (especially the noobs), that all this shitty mods are copy-paste
Next time you say stealing on an open-source project, that time ask your lawyer if accusing's legal, or maybe it has something to do with court cases.
Otherwise stop accusing, because you already lost that argue because (i help you) D_C_+_+__I_S__O_P_E_N__S_O_U_R_C_E ...

P.S. thanks for the minus, it's always NEGATIVE to say the truth (And accusing it seems like POSITIVE or people still like it)

Naithif

Anyways, your other nick isn't DeathStalker77 by chance? :P :P :P :P :P

Stormbringer

I keep always the same nick for your info.

If you think it's an argue then it's an argue with yourself, I told only the truth
One thing is sure, if BM stop to make new version, then xion developpement (and a lot of other mods) will be stopped, miracle no??? LoL
Make me sign when you and your friends (I don't know if you are of this team of loosers) will make a decent client without take all the idea of others.

And btw the discussion is close, nothing to add.

Naithif

Quote from: Stormbringer on 25 September, 2006, 18:42:34
If you think it's an argue then it's an argue with yourself, I told only the truth
The word "stealing" can ONLY and JUST be true if we talk about "open-source" projects...

One thing is sure, if BM stop to make new version, then xion developpement (and a lot of other mods) will be stopped, miracle no??? LoL
Make me sign when you and your friends (I don't know if you are of this team of loosers) will make a decent client without take all the idea of others.
"Make me sign" when BM's DC++ isn't based on a bunch of other clients, and hadn't copy-pasted a bunch thingies... Would be rather hard, read his changelog how many things he "stolen" (only in your opinion)

Also if DC++ stops then StrongDC++ stops too miracle? :P
Don't be so sure if StrongDC++ stops or DC++ stops then anything based on them will stop...

And btw the discussion is close, nothing to add.
Yup, would be nice, because if we continue you would make a statue for a DC++ M_O_D

And the common line: Don't like it? Don't use it. Someone (he's name's starting with ph) mentioned a good metaphore about this, something about happy campers LOL
But he's right :P

If you still don't get what I'm meaning, ask BM about the start of StrongDC++...

P.S. I'm not part of their team. I'm just someone who hates if a geek flames in a forum, and flashes words like "stealing" even when it's a lie...

bastya_elvtars

I think if you don't give credits it is coinsidered stealing - regardless of credits being given in the clients being talked about.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Naithif

Well, that's a minor thing about this, yeah, it should be written in the about info
(however it's mentioned, that it's based on StrongDC++ on the website...)
If creators of DC++ thinking the same way then DC++ wouldn't be open source...
It's open source, so no-one can talk about stealing, and period.

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 25 September, 2006, 21:27:38It's open source, so no-one can talk about stealing, and period.

Excuse me, you are wrong. Since DC++ is licensed under the GPL, so are mods (if not, then it's a copyright infringement), thus credits must be given to the author of the code bit, and that author holds the copyright for it. If these conditions are not met, it can be considered theft. :)
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Naithif

Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 25 September, 2006, 21:37:28
Excuse me, you are wrong. Since DC++ is licensed under the GPL, so are mods (if not, then it's a copyright infringement), thus credits must be given to the author of the code bit, and that author holds the copyright for it. If these conditions are not met, it can be considered theft. :)
Credits should be enought mentioning what it's based on, most client doesn't do more

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 25 September, 2006, 21:40:06
Credits should be enought mentioning what it's based on, most client doesn't do more

You know what I mean: the 'scissored-together' clients. And it does not matter what should/shouldn't be enough, the GPL must be obeyed.

Naithif

Well, the based on line should be enough, since the client that's based on also has it's credits

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 25 September, 2006, 21:48:40
Well, the based on line should be enough, since the client that's based on also has it's credits

Of course, but an eye should always be kept on legal things.
I just made my statemends and am outta this discussion. :)

Naithif

How did we got here? It was originally about ignore pm and share hide  ;D

Also I've found an option see below:

"K?z?s chat letilt?sa" means "Disallow main chat"  ;D
And it's not Xion++  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk