HideShare

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

HideShare

Started by ruler, 13 October, 2006, 22:39:33

Previous topic - Next topic

ruler

This is a request not from me but from several other hub owners who have changed from YnHub to PtokaX. At first they didnt want to change over becuse they 'thought' px was too complicated but now they prefer it and refuse to change back to YnHub, however the only command they really miss is the hideshare and showshare commands which YnHub has. They have tried using a hideshare script but after a few minutes the hub will refresh and then 'boom' the share is back.

ta  :-*

The Direct Connect Global Banlist get protected.

bastya_elvtars

http://lua.uknnet.com/thread.php?threadid=1601

Note that I just made some amendments due to scientific interests. I refuse to give additional support to this because I disagree with the overall concept. Using this, hiders won't respond seearches and cannot be downloaded from. It refreshes the relevant MyINFOs every second, I could make it on MyINFOArrival as well (dunno which is less resource intensive, feel free to experiment).
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

ruler

thanks that will keep the dogs at bay, at least for a while. this would be better better done in the soft though so that it doesnt need to resend MyINFO over itself. ive never hidden my share as i believe sharing is what DC is all about so i never really thought about the hideshare command but after thinking about it im a little supprised that it wasnt already implimented.anyway thanks again, much appreciated

bastya_elvtars

Nobody so far could tell me why hiding share is good.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

PPK

Hide share is easy to do in hub, but only when they want to hide and not download. Allow pasive user to download when hide share is hard to do by hub (is needed to store request of this user, to allow reply from active clients, and everything fail in case if this active client want to download from this passive), is much easyer to do it by client  ::)
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

ruler

yup i understand what you are saying. like bastya_elvtars said 'Nobody so far could tell me why hiding share is good.' i agree, i personally would never use the command myself but it was a request for several other hub owners. some are DJ's and run radio stations so while they were on air they wanted the option to hide their shares until they have finnished. personally i would say use Netlimit for that purpose  :-* and then take off the limits after. i'll point the peeps to this post so they can read about it themselves.

ah instead of making another topic i may as well mention here, ive tried loads of search and download blocker scripts and no matter which one i use there are always a few users who are unregistered that can still download from registered users in the hub, these peeps seem to be using a router and is so called active mode. i caught up with one of these users some time ago and he was willing to tell me his whole setup. im still not sure if it were the scripts or the hub, just thought i'd mention it  ;D

PPK

Quote from: ruler on 14 October, 2006, 12:45:19ive tried loads of search and download blocker scripts and no matter which one i use there are always a few users who are unregistered that can still download from registered users in the hub
Yes that is problem with passive users, as i say with previous post ... when reg user is passive then sending RevConnectToMe and active client reply with ConnectToMe, hub need to allow this reply (allow all, or allow only one when matched stored request with reply) to allow registered user to download. If this connection will be download for passive user, or active user is not know in time when clients send this requests (and hub never know who is downloader and who uploader), and when active client win direction battle then blocker fail  ::)
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

ruler

so in short its the protocol?

Thor

And if we speak about these user-rights... I'd have a feature request, if it is possible: to add to the profile manager, what the each profile classes can do, like:
  • Search and download (like in Verli the min_class_use_hub) - Maybe You can write it better as we with scripts :D
  • See the mainchat (like in HexHub)
  • Write into the mainchat
On our hub, unregistered users can't see the mainchat, and can't write into it. Therefore if I want to use a wordreplacer, or something like that (chathistory, and so on) these are very complicated, I have to use all script in one, in the right order ::)
These additions would be very welcomed ;D

bastya_elvtars

IMHO restricting the mainchat usage and searching/downloading would disappoint a lot of poeple new to DC network (if any). I can see the point in search, but not in mainchat restrictions.

ruler

PX used to have wordreplacer inbuilt at one point but its not a major loss compared to what we have gained. i remember PX before it even had LUA support  ;D but even so it was still pretty impressive then although limited. if you seriously compare PX to any other hubsoft you will soon see it has major benifits. bastya_elvtars is also right, locking main chat really is a bad idea and makes your hub appear unwelcoming to almost anyone. every day there are new people comming to DC for the first time, they are struggling to learn how to use their clients as there are so many options now and then to be faced with 'you can't chat in main' that kinda sucks.
i fully agree with security on the hub and there can never be enough security but there IS such a thing as going over board  ::) personally i think the overall layout and usage of PX is very good. remember Direct-Connect is still very yong and so are all the projects but its getting there for sure

PPK

2ruler
Yes it is protocol.
Quote from: Hungarista on 14 October, 2006, 14:27:18
Search and download (like in Verli the min_class_use_hub)
Search is possible with small script. 100 % working blocking download for active users is not possible if you want to allow non-blocked passives to download from them.
See the mainchat (like in HexHub)
Is in my TODO list, but i am not sure if this will be implemented because it need to add another 104 global output data queues :o
Write into the mainchat
Easy to do with small script.

Naithif

Hi

I've seen some hubs using hideshare (that shows 0 share on the userlist) for ALL users (verlihub), I wonder if it's possible to implant to PtokaX
(3 hubs have this feature on out of the 10 biggest hubs using verlihub (in my country ))

Thor

On hungarian hubs too, because it has been rewitten in the Verlihub source-code, which is under GNU-GPL licence. PtokaX is a closed source-code hubsoftware, so at the most you can ask PPK to rewrite it, but its unnecessary. I've never know why it's important :-\ And, it's possible via a script, just it will eat up your bandwidth ;D

Naithif

Quote from: Hungarista on 22 October, 2006, 19:45:41
On hungarian hubs too, because it has been rewitten in the Verlihub source-code, which is under GNU-GPL licence. PtokaX is a closed source-code hubsoftware, so at the most you can ask PPK to rewrite it, but its unnecessary. I've never know why it's important :-\ And, it's possible via a script, just it will eat up your bandwidth ;D

I know that it's possible scriptside, and I know the magic sentence too  ;D
I've just asked this because a percent is using it, and maybe they would need it for "protecting user's privacy" or something (I don't see that important as well, but I don't see "strip connection" and "strip description" important too ;D)

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 22 October, 2006, 20:27:08
I don't see "strip connection" and "strip description" important too ;D)

Quite a huge problem of yours, they are for bandwitdth-saving purposes.
Quote from: Naithif on 22 October, 2006, 19:28:22
I've seen some hubs using hideshare (that shows 0 share on the userlist) for ALL users (verlihub), I wonder if it's possible to implant to PtokaX
(3 hubs have this feature on out of the 10 biggest hubs using verlihub (in my country ))

Just being curious: what are their points?

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Mutor on 22 October, 2006, 22:37:48
Yet I too dont see a reason for it.

I don't think I can be part of this community without any bitterness in my mouth if such things get implemented.

Naithif

Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 22 October, 2006, 22:05:32
Quite a huge problem of yours, they are for bandwitdth-saving purposes.
Just being curious: what are their points?

Maybe it could be the same reason as the others: "bandwidth" ;D Ask them, they're 1:3 on the biggest local hubs on Verli
If you rip info "A" without degrading chat or downloading, then it's up to you if you want to degrade "B" too for the same reason  :P (even if I don't agree with any rips except tag maybe)

Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 22 October, 2006, 22:55:09
I don't think I can be part of this community without any bitterness in my mouth if such things get implemented.

The bitter taste of DC++ hmmmm I've heard that quite a few times hehe

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 22 October, 2006, 23:16:19
Maybe it could be the same reason as the others: "bandwidth"

Yes, let's limit mainchat too, because it eats b/w as well (I don't get why we run a hub at all if we disallow everything?)

PPK

Quote from: Mutor on 22 October, 2006, 22:37:48
Hiding share could be well implemented if MyINFO was blockable through script.
Blockable myinfo is bad idea (because myinfo sending/broadcasting is optimized inside PtokaX and script is not able to send it using this optimized code), but in future there will be way to change parts of myinfo -> change description, tag, connection, email, sharesize  ::)

Thor

Quote from: PPK on 22 October, 2006, 23:55:19... but in future there will be way to change parts of myinfo -> change description, tag, connection, email, sharesize  ::)
43th applause has been granted. I (we) love you PPK ;D

Naithif

Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 22 October, 2006, 23:51:30
Yes, let's limit mainchat too, because it eats b/w as well
Quote from: Naithif on 22 October, 2006, 23:16:19
If you rip info "A" without degrading chat or downloading, then it's up to you if you want to degrade "B" too for the same reason

I don't see the link between chat and showing share size in the userlist  ???

Quote from: PPK on 22 October, 2006, 23:55:19
Blockable myinfo is bad idea (because myinfo sending/broadcasting is optimized inside PtokaX and script is not able to send it using this optimized code), but in future there will be way to change parts of myinfo -> change description, tag, connection, email, sharesize  ::)

Nice ideas PPK :)

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Naithif on 23 October, 2006, 17:02:06
I don't see the link between chat and showing share size in the userlist  ???

The problem is not with "showing zero sharesize in userlist2 but with hiding the share completely (i. e. not responfding to searches, not uploading etc).

Naithif

All my sentences were about showing 0 and not real 0 share

Quote from: Naithif on 22 October, 2006, 19:28:22
Hi

Would disallowing upload make sense for all users? ???

Helios

for hiding share use the good op client DCDM, dcdm special  or Xion no script needed or the newest good client zk++ clone of dcdm with nice options.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk