to compile or not to compile

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

to compile or not to compile

Started by c h i l l a, 06 January, 2004, 10:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

c h i l l a

I think compiled scripts, suck, I mean where is the spirit, of sharing ideas, sharing knowledge...
Better we all start compiling our scripts, so we don't have to fear, that someone will be inspired by ones script, and use ones idea, for a greater better script.

Optimus

Chilla m8, you can have mine if you want to?  :D

kepp

Yep... I don't understand why either... ?

I can make the worst bot / script ever... compile it so no-one can see how it's built... otherwise, why don't share the full script with others..
Guarding    

SaintSinner

I agree,
I dont like it either.

Modul4

ptokax whith compiled script = yhub,and that is faster and much better

NightLitch

I agree to.

But My big Master I don't know if I want you guys to see it...

Its really messy luckely I can find my way in it... :-p

But it will come out... just a couple of big bugs left...

but to the subject, What is the idea to compile and sharing it with
others...

Yeah if the script now is "bug free" and you are not a scripter
then maybe...

But we the one's that seek ideas and knowlege, won't get it from
compiled scripts...

(hehe a little messy text to)  :-)

have a good one yall
//NL

Optimus

QuoteI can make the worst bot / script ever... compile it so no-one can see how it's built

Silly argument, i think your talking about your self. lol

pHaTTy

well when i first started i would have agreed with chilla, but long time changed that and there is many reasons for it, set aside that it is effiecent, but one of the big points is that people are just to lazy, this forum is to ask questions and to get help, not to copy and paste code, its just lazy, it can be said that lua can die for ptokax when there is not enough scripters, i have also talked about the same thing with another scripter, i say no name but you's know him very well....but like i said...that is one of the bigger reasons.....

if someone wants to know how to spin the reels on my bot, then they need to not be lazy and ask, its simple to ask a question, but everyone has there opinion.....
Resistance is futile!

MrZ

Hia:))

Want my opinion?,,, hehe il give it to u anyway :))

Share the script uncompiled WITH the compilator and a batchfile that does the jobb.
That way you have the best of both, we can do mods ourself and the script is effiecent.

Skrolster did that once, i liked the way.

btw, still have his  luac.exe and batch file

Z ya
Always remember that you are unique... just like everyone else :-D

BlazeXxX

I sometimes disagree with Compiling and at times i feel its the way it shud be.

Reasons for Compiling:

1) ppl modify and remove credits most of the time
2) They mess it up and come back asking stupid Q
3) Better, Secure

Reasons for the UnCompiled Version:

1) I can take bits and pieces and learn from it
2) I can do the small changes that i might want, than bugging the org scripter
3) Always customisable

I prefer Robocop and Gekko to be compiled versions, since they are awesome. If a scripter wants to take the idea from those packages, they can ask the scripter for the source, like i did with opti.

No point of giving the uncompiled to some LUA noob , who wud mess the script up and come back to us and give us headache.

kepp

QuoteOriginally posted by Optimus
QuoteI can make the worst bot / script ever... compile it so no-one can see how it's built

Silly argument, i think your talking about your self. lol

Why would that be silly...?

2: I may not know the Language very well, But atleast im trying

What i mean is, I know you are a great scripter, No Doubt.
But other scripters can't see how you're thinking, They can't come up with better solutions on a task, You've have probably heard that 2 cooks on one soup is not so very well, while on the other hand 2-3 scripters on a script only can turn out to be good.

This is my opinion, I also agree with Phatty that many people are lazy.
Guarding    

MrZ

We will keep being NOOBS if you dont let us look and understand.

By sharing your knowledge you will keep the LUA scripting alive!!

The best ive seen is "someone" that told us, after a req,,, "I did change this and this.." and he pasted the line.

I take my hat of for that person :))

Z ya
Always remember that you are unique... just like everyone else :-D

kepp

Guarding    

pHaTTy

well there you have it, lazy, no offence to no one, but alot of ppl are lazy, they only want the code to mess with it, tell me some good reasons why we shud give you the code, instead of asking how something is done?
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

For example, the How-To's i wrote ppl may use them, but all they are doing is copying and pasting, they were original ment so you can understand the code, and then write it yourselves, but ppl cut and paste, altho they do ok as ppl ask questions, maybe i shud just goto talking about it, and let all doobs write it, and then they can learn to fix there mistakes instead of leaving them and not realising

alot of ppl were the same, when i first kicked off, if Guibs had not pushed me to use forum, i probably would still be noob, guibs used to write little bits of code, but he got sick and said ask in forum and ill help ;)

after that i got very good answers from scripters, even if i did not know such langages as vb, c++ etc, i think i still wud have had this amazing head start :)

hope i get my point across
Resistance is futile!

BlazeXxX

True point Phatty ! I know ppl who just cut and paste and call the script as their own ones.. No way they learning i agree on that. But like MrZ said, it will be good to release uncompiled version, while there are only countable no of ppl who is scripting for LUA in this board.

I came here without no knowledge of LUA and a full noob to ptokax, but now i can modify and rewrite the scripts to my wish or to my needs.. Its all cuz i cud see the example codes.. But for the past months , i hardly get to see main package's codes  and learn from it.

It would be better for the future of LUA board to bring more scripters than reducing them. Just a thought.

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
well when i first started i would have agreed with chilla, but long time changed that and there is many reasons for it, set aside that it is effiecent, but one of the big points is that people are just to lazy, this forum is to ask questions and to get help, not to copy and paste code, its just lazy, it can be said that lua can die for ptokax when there is not enough scripters, i have also talked about the same thing with another scripter, i say no name but you's know him very well....but like i said...that is one of the bigger reasons.....

if someone wants to know how to spin the reels on my bot, then they need to not be lazy and ask, its simple to ask a question, but everyone has there opinion.....
i agree for 120%, you don't learn from copy/paste.
you learn by trail and error.
i hate it when some1 gives me a straigth answer, i want hints so i not only learn the correct way but also the bad way's and why it is a bad or good way 2 do so.
this simply means i learn 3x as much then by getting it on a silver plate.
like they say, you learn from your mistakes so make as much mistakes as posible.
and a.i. whill be compiled now and when public, many of the small scripts i post here are straigth stripped things from it.
just i don't want some1 messing it up, it has it's own personalety and i want 2 keep it that way.
for blazexxx point number 1, i allready seen my userinfo bot come by where the credits were stripped and that sucks big time.
took me a couple day's back then 2 make it, seeing it like that hurts.
and finaly, sharing knowledge is more then sharing sources.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

kepp

QuoteOriginally posted by BlazeXxX

Reasons for Compiling:

1) ppl modify and remove credits most of the time
2) They mess it up and come back asking stupid Q
3) Better, Secure

Reasons for the UnCompiled Version:

1) I can take bits and pieces and learn from it
2) I can do the small changes that i might want, than bugging the org scripter
3) Always customisable

Like BlazeXxX explained... There are ofcorse People that will mess it up, Come to the forums and ask why they can't get it to work, And i understand that must be a pain.

A Compiled script has its good things, while a uncompiled also has its good things, 50 / 50

No matter what, Let's say you release another bot Compiled, You will get questions how things are done.

If you release a bot which is not Compiled you will get questions about things they have messed up.
So it's 50 / 50

OK, Sure i understand, Credits can be removed and so on, So it's up to the Owner of the script to decide weather it's suposed to be Compiled / uncompiled. :)
Guarding    

BlazeXxX

Hmm isnt it possible to script like this?

Compile the .lua file which only has credit information and leave the rest as uncompiled?

Like lets say we got 5 lua files and one of them is only for credits.

Will it work that way? if it is, then the scripter will still have the credits he shud get and the learners can learn from the codes.

I am pointing out to opti abt Spudman's request few weeks back. I cud have helped with his little adjustment but since the source code is compiled, i was not able to.

This will surely reduce the pain of scripters who has to modify for wat the user is asking always.

pHaTTy

no because ppl can just remove the dofile for credits
Resistance is futile!

Optimus

Well i agree on the point? The more scripters the better.

Because lately there ain't that much scripters as it use tobe many good scripters are no longer with us any more.

lately me haven't seen anything new or interresting to learn or what ever.

Me miss Rabid and others  ;)

* But i like the Challenge me get better from that... It takes me further then i can think of.

c h i l l a

thanks for the many replies, and for the ideas why to compile and why not.

I understand that one rellay gets pissed off, when someone sees ones script, but he isn't mentioned in it anymore, since we all do this for free, all we want is our name in it, right.
To those who only copy paste, well, they mess things up, and sooner or later they have to dig into it...
I know we humans are all lazy, so if we get it on a  silver plate, then we will use it. But these people won't come far.
So what I am saying is, I wouldn't mind anybody messing a script of mine... I know how the original looks like, and I am the only who will be able to put it on my site ( I hope ). Well so when they ask about errors then one finds out quite fast if it was ones own script or not.
If not then don't help em'.

But I like uncompiled scripts, because I also like to know what the script does. See if I take a game bot, for exsample, and I find things that I don't like, like messages on restart scripts, or on user disconnects, I will modify it. but I wouldn't remove a command like  +gameinfo  where one can see the author and such.

So its up to us, to share, what we have got, or to let some guys, block our progress in making better scripts.
Because no one can say, he would have learned as much till now, if all scripts where in compiled version.
When I first started with LUA scrpting, I couldn't even cut and paste. I didn't even understand a non compiled script, now I understand the non compiled ones, and now I need to find ways to see the compiled ones.

Another thing... I know compiled scripts are faster.. but dunno we are talking about a few hundred processor ticks, I know that if ptaczek would built a non supporting script Hub, it would be the fastest of all. So no comparison to yhub please, it's another, lets say Hubphilosophy.

c h i l l a

blazeXxX,  nice idea,  I thaugth about it a second.. but it would be a little work,

what about having 2 files
one is the Lua file  where you have all your, Ptokax functions in it, and the second is your ad script file where you have  your extra functions in it.
this way you could compile the Lua code, and leave the other readable.
But its some work. And I actualy want the script as open as can be.
So I guess... we will take different directions, some will take the comipled, and other the open.
My phylosophy sorta, is, If I can help someone make a better script, out of a open code, then I already don't even care about those who just take it and mess with it. And thise who take the messed up version, well I hope they become unhappy with it.

Modul4

is there still a hub soft called ptokax ??
is a long time there was a hubsoft that worked

BlazeXxX

Modul4,
I think u are in the wrong place ! If you don't remember Ptokax, why do u need to be in an LUA forum reading this thread?

Pls don't post irrelevant stuffs in here and show that u not using ptokax.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk