Looking for info on what happened to NMDC and what ptokax can do

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Looking for info on what happened to NMDC and what ptokax can do

Started by Speeddymon, 04 November, 2011, 04:39:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Speeddymon

It's been quite some time since I've used DC, and I was discussing with some co-workers about old file sharing things that we've used; one guy mentioned Hotline, which reminded me, somehow, of NMDC. So that prompted me to start looking around to figure out whatever happened to it. The only information I can find is the web.archive.org cache of the NMDC home page from May, 2005, and wikipedia entry stating that it ran until 2005.. Nothing indicates why or when it actually went offline, and of course, you have to dig some to find clients, such as this, which are still kept up to date.

Questions I have are as follows:

When and why did NMDC shut down their homepage and operations?
Does ptokax support the filesharing aspect, and how about SSL and using custom ports?

I can find my own hub lists but I'd like to get back into sharing without dealing with bittorrent, so I'm hoping to keep an encrypted connection for my data to not be able to be monitored.

PPK

As you found, neo-modus website was shutdown in 2005. Why ? Only John Hess (creator of Direct Connect) know that.
PtokaX is hub-software, not client. So it is not supporting any filesharing, that is client job.
No PtokaX don't support SSL, actually SSL is not secure anymore so support for it is not even planned :P
PtokaX allow to use any port(s) you want ::)
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk