MOTD view and edit script

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

MOTD view and edit script

Started by Janhouse, 24 April, 2004, 19:38:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Janhouse

Can you view and edit MOTD using script?  ?(

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by Janhouse
Can you view and edit MOTD using script?  ?(
you can view and edit it but ptokax saves it on exit and only loads it on startup.
so any changes made by scripts will be lost and never seen by your users.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

enema

Huh, old post, so I figured out to ask again - arent there any chance of changing MOTD from difrient PC (not the one, where ptokax is instaled)???

...In deep hope, that things have moved on...

UwV

overwite the file in the ptokaxfolder..
(at a time your ptokax is not running) ...
so ..sharing the folder on local network .. or anyhow you like .. ftp or remote desktop whatever you like just overwrite the file from any pc you want ..
 but not "through ptokax"  
but i guess you want to do it "on the fly" huh
so.. no,   no change yet .. must do it while hub is not on ..
\NL   The knowledge and skills you have achieved are meant to be forgotten so you can float comfortably in emptiness, without obstruction.
" Holly loves me,...  . "      ;o)

& don't forget, the motto is :
  -- SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DJ'S --

enema

yeah, I guess its the only way how to keep MOTD up-to-date if hub owner isint really able to do anything for hub   :(   (dont get me wrong, only prob. is, that owner sometimes leaves city or even country for weeks)

bolamix

QuoteOriginally posted by enema
yeah, I guess its the only way how to keep MOTD up-to-date if hub owner isint really able to do anything for hub   :(   (dont get me wrong, only prob. is, that owner sometimes leaves city or even country for weeks)
I see at least two solutions to your problem:
1) Arrange for someone else to host the hub when the hubowner is away.
I do that now and again, i just zip the ptokax folder so that all settings and scripts are current, and send it to one of the ops who can leave his computer on while I'm away. It takes a littlle explaining if the person isn't very technically-minded, but it works nicely. He can even take over if there's a problem on my 'puter while I'm at work.
2) Arrange a remote desktop connection to the machine running the hub.
This can be a bit tricky: some people might not like even friends to access their 'puters remotely in their absence, but if the hub is on a dedicated machine, then private files stay private; and there are probably security risks (hacking, etc) that I'm not aware of when using remote-control software.

Edit: I realize that you probably thought of that months ago... sorry if this is the case, it sounds very obvious now I'm re-reading my post o_O
Sharing is of the essence!

Live music >> Aiwadirock! live music hub
PtokaX knowledge >> The PtokaX Wiki

bastya_elvtars

or use XtremeMOTD from LawMaker

umm sorry for self-commercial  :baby:  :D  :D  :D
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

enema

QuoteOriginally posted by bastya_elvtars
or use XtremeMOTD from LawMaker

umm sorry for self-commercial  :baby:  :D  :D  :D
So... what u are saying... that with lawmaker I can change motd?? I downloaded your lawmaker, but I still cant see this option

hyeclass

i useually use my own ptokax and edit the motd then i upload it to our ptokax ftp server :) just make the ftp directory and overwrite it but be carefull thats the best solution

enema

your ptokaX is working on ftp?? how's that possible??

Dj_OcTaGoN

Yeah i have thought about doing that as well.

Putting the PtokaX folder within FTP webroot.
Set only main PtokaX folder to be allowed to download/upload files. So then just dl the MOTD.txt file and edit it, upload and relogin into Hub to check if it looks good hehe (in the PtokaX [degub] version u dont have to restart hub, it will change directly, at least mine does when editing in the software. Though im not sure if this works when exchanging the MOTD.txt file...gotta test that)

cheers // Dj_OcTaGoN

enema

If you put a hubsoft on ftp, then what are you going to put in address and port field in ptokax?

Dj_OcTaGoN

Well I think hyeclass and me are talking about different ways now, right?

Im not talking about a webhosted FTP

enema

oh, ok... It has been a loooong day, Im not catching even my own thoughts :)

hyeclass

ok for example lets say i host the ptokax and also have a ftp server...... that is pointed out the the ptokax directory that way u can change motd file or anything u like except some settings in ptokax which require gui

Dj_OcTaGoN

So then we are talking about the same thing

cheers // Dj_OcTaGoN

UwV

good you got it ..
    but... just like plop mentioned in the post above.
       "MOTD will be overwritten when closing ptokax"..
       "with what it say's in the gui"
        (maybe in td4 only if save motd on exit is enabled? )
so just keep that in mind ....
or reboot the hub and gone is your motd ..
\NL   The knowledge and skills you have achieved are meant to be forgotten so you can float comfortably in emptiness, without obstruction.
" Holly loves me,...  . "      ;o)

& don't forget, the motto is :
  -- SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DJ'S --

bastya_elvtars

whats in the motd textbox in the gui, it will appear, regardless of what is in motd.txt... i guess, or i saw something bad?

this is why it would be nice to have an active ptokax developer with ourselves to answer these questions.

As i know, the frmHub:SetCurrentMOTD() would not be hard to implement, or not harder as PPK implemented the frmHub:SetTopic() or what (bah, i have the lua5 beta but lazy 2 take a look)

btw sorry for my graphomany but i had a terrible week without compie :D
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Dj_OcTaGoN

Isnt there a way to overrun PtokaX inbuilt MOTD and make a scripted MOTD only? Then together with one of the scripts where Masters can change txt files (I think the script are called "Save Strings"?) it would work excellent.

cheers // Dj_OcTaGoN

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by Dj_OcTaGoN
Isnt there a way to overrun PtokaX inbuilt MOTD and make a scripted MOTD only? Then together with one of the scripts where Masters can change txt files (I think the script are called "Save Strings"?) it would work excellent.

cheers // Dj_OcTaGoN

i already do it, will rip it 4 ya next week

Dj_OcTaGoN

ok cheers m8!  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk