=Developing, BetaTesting and Human Stupidity=

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

=Developing, BetaTesting and Human Stupidity=

Started by ptaczek, 19 January, 2004, 18:08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ptaczek

After several weeks of hard_working on projects in my real job I have found some time to go through a few emails regarding PtokaX. One of you has sent me note about a website with ptokax beta-version available for download. I've also received a few other notes about the same with alpha-version of MHServer.
The most sad on this all is, that latest betas have been leaked with help of somebody from the beta-team. Moreover, just a link to the .zip archive has been provided without ANY note about the fact that it's unoptimized, unofficial beta-version with certain limitations and bugs in various features of the application - a beta version NOT intended for public use.
Nobody form those users knows anything about the need to inform me about bugs. Even if there are mostly positive reactions about the latest beta, there are still critical bugs which can consequently force the hubadmin to so switch to other version or to other hubsoft at all. With every 'heroic' action of some dumb calling himself a BetaTester, we are loosing potentional users!
Today I've removed the beta-versions download page from the internet. Starting from today Im developing a simple beta-portal secured by per-user athentication. Every downloaded betaversion will be unique equiped with digital watermark so the originator of beta leakage will be easily traced.
The negative of this all is that the developing of PtokaX is suspended UNTIL this portal will be done. There is also possibility that the whole project will be closed, because of obvious reasons. Im still very disgusted and I DO NOT believe that ppl will ever change. They are still the same from very begining of this mad Game of Life. Facing this fact one can say that I could be broad-minded and just drop a slight smile of understanding about all those kids with big ego no brain. Sure, but everyone of us has it's limits. And Im very close to the outermost of them...
The number of members of the beta-team will be probably reduced. Do not take it as a kind of penalty. As it seems some MUST are needed in order to keep this project on creative level.

Howgh.
-ptaczek-

This whole physical universe is a hologram.
[Cosmosis - Contact: The First Step]

Devastator

Well i support u in everything u do if its da steps 2 keep PtokaX alive go ahead with it straight do what u have 2 do cos i dnt want PtokaX 2 jus dissolve away.

Keep PtokaX Alive!

Devastator
(? ?.??.->PLOP DEFINATELY 4 MOD!!!<-.??.???)

pHaTTy

well ptax shall i tell u what i think, GREAT THINKING :))
Resistance is futile!

SaintSinner

im glad you are taking a more active approach to this instead of looking the other way, i agree totally with you, let those who realese betas burn.

MrZ

Damn!!!

Sorry to hear that ptaczek, pls dont think u been let down bud, keep going pleeease.

I also stand back all ur decision...

Damn Damn those squareheaded no god SOAB

Z ya (i hope)
Always remember that you are unique... just like everyone else :-D

REBEL

i think you are absolutly right ptaczek
but i think you had too many beta testers so you were bound to get a leak. unfortunately i missed being a beta tester when it started.
and i personally think you only need between 5-10 tester on a beta test , that way you have more track on it .

keep up your good work
looking forward to final results
REBEL

raz

safe, ptaczak wat u r doing is right, even though i think more beta testers equals better hub software. they make me mad cuz da software will take a bit more longer 2 comes out now!!! :(  but stepz like dese have 2 be taken.!!!

P.S. y don't u send it to 1 person who can pass it on to the rest beta testers. it can save u time and u won't have to worry as much. :D

plop

i sure love that digital watermark.
but why keep a webportal, just sending them 2 the beta testers by email sounds better 2 me.
then there is no place @ all where it can be downloaded unless 1 of the team members places it on a website himself.
email can be secured in various way's, for example they have 2 send an email back from the email addy they gave with user/pass, then the mailserver send it back 2 that email addy but only if all 3 match up.
even if a user/pass would leak out they couldn't get a beta version in there hands.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

Moa

i agree totally with you, let those who realese betas burn.

[T-G-T]M@sto

I can't agread more. It's sad that some people just have to spoil everything. (I'm not sure Spoil is a english workd, but i mean mess up)
The Ghost Riders - tgr.dyndns.org - The Best Danish Hub

Typhoon

even better the specific beta version coud be hardcoded to only work at a specific ip / MAC adress .. i think another unofficial hubsoft (wont mention names ) does the same thing !!

pHaTTy

altho ptax, i wish you had not started this thread, because now the leakers know there is a watermark, if they did not know, we wud find out who theye were............
Resistance is futile!

ptaczek

1. I don't want to use the mail for betas distribution. It's still the same work for every release. And even if the watermarking could be automated, it's still n x size_of_beta_file which must be send on my snail_line. It's better for me to have a kind of portal which will link the .exe on demand according to login data of certain tester, pack it, send it to him and delete the file so NOTHING will remain on the server as a possible target for hackers.

2. there will be no hardcoded MAC addr. checking. After few years spent in cracking for various warez groups I know, that any protection can be broken. Therefore a passive watermark with unique info + additional random redundant data spread across the whole exe image will be exactly what I need.
-ptaczek-

[NL]Pur

i agree, :)

as earlier suggested maby it's also better too test it with only medium(800+) and large hubs(1500+) since it's not easy too find the bugs with a small hub.

anyway sad too hear that things must go this way with auth. stuff.

hopefully you still see time for futher developed of ptokax.

ptaczek

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
altho ptax, i wish you had not started this thread, because now the leakers know there is a watermark, if they did not know, we wud find out who theye were............

It's not my goal to waste my time by searching for the leaker. What it would be good for now? What I would do with him? Shoot him? Send him a bomb? You know, stupid will remain stupid and moreover he will never find out about his stupidity...
-ptaczek-

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by ptaczek
1. I don't want to use the mail for betas distribution. It's still the same work for every release. And even if the watermarking could be automated, it's still n x size_of_beta_file which must be send on my snail_line. It's better for me to have a kind of portal which will link the .exe on demand according to login data of certain tester, pack it, send it to him and delete the file so NOTHING will remain on the server as a possible target for hackers.

2. there will be no hardcoded MAC addr. checking. After few years spent in cracking for various warez groups I know, that any protection can be broken. Therefore a passive watermark with unique info + additional random redundant data spread across the whole exe image will be exactly what I need.

what gets me is all these prats that spread it dont realise but they are slowig the ptokax development down, causing more SH*TE pardon, but its true, they slow the development, if they lay back and w8 instead of being a bunch of inpatient twa*s.

well hope to see some nice work on px, and just to pis* them off, i receommend u take a bit more time tourself.....lol j/k i cant w8 til actually release, but take it easy, dont rush, or bugs will appear all over ;)
Resistance is futile!

yepyepyep4711

so each and every .exe will have a different watermark?

sounds good.

As always. If you need it, I have both a http and ftp server.

Cheers

pHaTTy

It's not my goal to waste my time by searching for the leaker. What it would be good for now? What I would do with him? Shoot him? Send him a bomb? You know, stupid will remain stupid and moreover he will never find out about his stupidity...

but by targetting the leakers, you can elimate the possibilites of it being spread, by not giving that user access to beta....and if u get there address, ill shoot em or send the bomb :p
Resistance is futile!

plop

but by targetting the leakers, you can elimate the possibilites of it being spread, by not giving that user access to beta....and if u get there address, ill shoot em or send the bomb :p
the log files can show where the leaked beta came from.

your right pcaz, now i know how you wanne make that portal i definatly agree on that.

phatty if there stupid enought 2 spread it while they know it's not allowed they whill be stupid enough 2 do the same while they know about the watermark.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

pHaTTy

Quotephatty if there stupid enought 2 spread it while they know it's not allowed they whill be stupid enough 2 do the same while they know about the watermark.

plop

i really hope ur right, i want to know who the traitor is, it cud be someone we help, it good be one of our friends, no one knows yet, and it really annoys me that ptax uses his time, to work on it for the community, i love being here as u can tell, im not even supposed to be here but i am, i love scripting lua, and i cant understadn these ppl, i hope i find out who it is, i want to know if they are around us, in this forum maybe reading these posts or what......
Resistance is futile!

Optimus

mmm, I want my Ptokax... This is going to no where that's really sad.

We haven't seen a thing in ages, why has this to be so
difficult??

Think most users will drop now when they read this messages.

Tobe or Not tobe, that's the real question. (You go forward or backward)

What's it gone be!!!

NightLitch

This is sad indeed. And I Am behind you as the others are to Ptaczek.
//NL

Dax

Ptacez aren't you too paranoic?????
I thik that is not possibile...........
Control with control, log, ip check....
O MY GOD......
Admin of DAXHUB
daxhub.no-ip.com

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by Dax
O MY GOD......

errm yes it is :p

i think its a grea idea
Resistance is futile!

SaintSinner

QuoteOriginally posted by Dax
O MY GOD......

its his work,
he can protect his work anyway he wants.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk