Some ideas of improvement for the next PtokaX?

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Some ideas of improvement for the next PtokaX?

Started by Paco, 13 September, 2005, 03:24:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Paco

I think what I miss most in PtokaX so it can trully be perfect for me are:
- the lack of an IP verification when registering a new user, many users registers several times and growth of the registration file is substantial;
- the lack of add & remove buttons for the TempBan and PermanentBan. I think an owner should be able to introduce there as well directly an IP or a nick;
- an internal censor mechanism anti adv, nothing fancy;
- a log mechanism to save all server activity. The owner should know what's happening on his hub somwhow;
- posibility to configure at least a short welcome message different to each profile, besides MOTD.

That's it. I'm waiting for critics and ideea concerning my ideas of improvement.

blackwings

Here is som critics =
QuoteOriginally posted by Paco
- the lack of an IP verification when registering a new user, many users registers several times and growth of the registration file is substantial;
this is not practical, because most people have dynamic ips. Which mean if ptokax would do as you said,
users would be like needed to reregister every week or month.
- the lack of add & remove buttons for the TempBan and PermanentBan.
I think an owner should be able to introduce there as well directly an IP or a nick;
add button for tempban is unnecassary, but remove button exist for both tempban and permban + to add things to permban,
you just double click on the permban window.
- an internal censor mechanism anti adv, nothing fancy;
its better to have a script doing this, then haveing it internally.
- a log mechanism to save all server activity. The owner should know what's happening on his hub somwhow;
this can be scripted.
- posibility to configure at least a short welcome message different to each profile, besides MOTD.
there exist several script that does this

Mardeg

QuoteOriginally posted by blackwings
Here is som critics =
this is not practical, because most people have dynamic ips. Which mean if ptokax would do as you said,
users would be like needed to reregister every week or month.

I'm pretty sure all that is meant by 'verification' is just preventing the same IP registering multiple usernames. This also is scriptable, but does require the storing of IP addresses in external files since ptokax currently does not record IPs on registration or 'keep track' of changing IPs of registered users.

The question of this and the other requests is, are they better off scripted or built into the hub? I think it's a matter of how vital the need is for each particular request, and how effective the implementation would be. A good example was the deflood script.

Since so many users can easily change their IP, I don't think the first request would be effective if implemented. Unfortunately the DC protocol does not require/provide any form of unique identification of users, so a script that checks/matches an amalgamation of various details would always be guessing. The more details, the better the guess, but also the more complex the script to avoid false matches.

Paco

blackwings you are completely right in many ways, but Mardeg is the one that really understood what I was trying to say.
About the IP I just thought that how mardeg said : "
I'm pretty sure all that is meant by 'verification' is just preventing the same IP registering multiple usernames".
As for the other stuff it's just a matter of considering it necessary or not, or leaving it for the scripters.
I only came with some of the ideas because things like logging and others are in my opinion basic stuff that should be part of a PtokaX Release as they run faster directly from the server compiled executable and leave the possibility to overide if necessary with scripts.

plop

deflood fixes exploits in px or the dc protocol, these are vital for every hub.
but i know of several isp's which put users behind a router on lan ip's.
and offcourse dynamic ip's.
so linking ip's 2 usersname isn't vital for every hubowner.
on the other hand the userdatabase size should be contained.
and best for this would be a build in usercleaner (delete after x day's not logged in).

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk