to RevConnect or not to RevConnect

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

to RevConnect or not to RevConnect

Started by enema, 14 October, 2004, 15:14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

enema

Hi!!!

I guess, that there are lot of hub owners here, so I wanted to hear everybodys opinion about RevConnect! Why its so unwanted in so many hubs? I think, if user pays big money for his internet, he deserves to get his file faster than user, that has something like dial-up.

Herodes

have u paid for anything on DC ?

cause It is not a nice thing to mention .. many ppl like me ,..
dont have access to high speed internet ...

[*edit*] I am against enforcing the use of multisourcing as this is Slot-killing ... multi-sourcing clients DO take up free slots ... so normal dc users arent able to get any ... eventually they'll leave the hub ...

( If a multisource client doesnt finish its queue from a user it doesnt release the source same does norm dc but it doesnt occupy slots from others ... )

enema

huh, I never thought about that... But it still sounds unfair... there are ppl who has huge bandwidith. So there are more ppl, who can download from them with normal speed. What do they get for it? NOTHING! I think hub should be happy that there are users with huge bandwidith....

Herodes

QuoteOriginally posted by enema
I think hub should be happy that there are users with huge bandwidith....
Well ...  HEeelloooOO!!

anyhow ... the fact that they dont get nothing can be taken on the narrowband* connections ...  but heronically ...

Seriously,...  why to seek for advantages when its meant to be equal ?

*narrowband <> broadband ....

Optimus

Hehe RevConnect is something for you Herodes. You have dailup connection time is money on your side. Lool

imby

I don't see what the big need is for multisource. people are so impatient. people with multi source should fundamentally be banned cuz they're impatient! and yes it works so wonderfully on kazaa and emule. the fact that no one wants to share because it's so impersonal goes over most peoples heads.

enema

QuoteOriginally posted by Herodes
Seriously,... why to seek for advantages when its meant to be equal ?

Equal? As I know, ppl dont pay EQUAL price for their internet! Why choose Lan T 3 if u can choose Cable and use it with no difference? Thing is, that with Cable there are only 1 - 3 ppl who can download something from u. With Lan T3 there are 10 - 12 happy users, who can download from you. But do you care about them? I dont! As a ordinary user I would change my bandwidith to Cable.... I think, we cannot let it happen, that people start to think my way.

Herodes

DC is meant to work without privileges ... thats what I mean by "equal" ...

Ooh.. and you cant allow users to have multisource dnlds because they are on slow line and disallow it for fast-internet users ....

so the only way to handle that is allow/disallow for all ...

Use your MOtD's to state that ... and also take the time to put in some links for some proper multisourcing clients ...

Boostland

http://www.imperialnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243
some good info on how blind some people are to multi downloading clients, not a lot of logic applied to it, more emotion than logic.
All users should set the "No new downloads if speed exceeds" to a number below the speed of the connection, eg 512/128k set 43 - 45 that way you don;t take more slots from the hub than your connection can handle.
One of the best clients that is hard to cheat with is one called StrongDC,  if a user limits with it it shows the limit in the tag or the description.
if they run netlimiter it also shows that they are running that and the set upload limit, and if they limit with the built in limiter the download speed is limited on a ratio if a user limits the upload speed so they only cheat themselves if they limit too much, and the limits are displayed in the description if  they are running DC++ emulation.
Also now that DC++ has TTH in it they are looking to put multi source into it, so Revconnect and like will become the std client, NMDC was first and DC++ and oDC were the not accepted one's now DC++ and oDC are more accepted than NMDC, times change hubs will need to change and move on.
Do you know how to use dc++ as a faking client?.
use $MyINFO $ALL %[mynick] %[line:description] %[line:tag]$ $%[line:connection]r$%[email]$%[line:share]$|   as a raw command
then you can edit your tag, discription, connection and share.
All DC++ should be banned as a fakers client.
So next time you see a Noob OP kick a user for a Hacked client just think all DC++ and oDC are hacked and hackable clients
and you can speed limit and slot lock so users can't download from you with your firewall or router
you don't even have to work that hard and mod source the cheat exists in DC++.

Psycho_Chihuahua

"So Sad but True", well i've been using SDC since RC4 or 5 now and been happy with it ever since...but really gives to think, if u can Fake with DC++ u can Fake with most other Clients as well...so what u wanna do? block all clients in the hub except SDC? I guess whatever one does against faking clients, the ppl using them will just find new ways of doing just such.
PtokaxWiki ?PtokaX Mirror + latest Libs

01100001011011000111001101101111001000000110101101101110011011110111011101101110001000000110000101110011001000000101010001101111011010110110111101101100011011110111001101101000

bastya_elvtars

yea, but it needs a tool like bittorrent and emule that rehashes the dled chunk and checks if it matches the one @ another guy, if not, redownload. Until this aint in dc++, its unsafe.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk