How Much can my hub take? - Page 2

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

How Much can my hub take?

Started by enema, 31 October, 2004, 16:20:27

Previous topic - Next topic

[NL]Pur

now that i think of it , it also depends on the amount of active or passive users an hub has.

Passive users search through the hub. So this whould be generating more traffic.

BoJlk

Quoteenema: "Does ADSL users have fast connection speed between themselfes? If so, then try to gather around only ADSL users and you will see, that upload goes down a LOT! From 5KB to maybe 1KB"
I'm afraid i don't fully undertsand, what differance does it have the connection type?
Most of the users on my HUB are ADSL users.
Because my country is providing with ADSL/Cable technology only.

enema

QuoteOriginally posted by BoJlk
Quoteenema: "Does ADSL users have fast connection speed between themselfes? If so, then try to gather around only ADSL users and you will see, that upload goes down a LOT! From 5KB to maybe 1KB"
I'm afraid i don't fully undertsand, what differance does it have the connection type?
Most of the users on my HUB are ADSL users.
Because my country is providing with ADSL/Cable technology only.

let me give u an exaple: in my country there is such connection type as mDSL... mDSL users can download or upload with 2 Mbps between themselfes... If anyone else connects them, or they connect to any other connection type, they downstream is 256 Kbps and upstream - 64kbps... All I wanted to know is - do ADSL has the same thing?

------------------------------------

exuse my bad english... im so f*ckin drunk right now

gathering

no if you have adsl then you up and down stream is what you bought if you have 2Mbit/1Mbit then you down stream for all is 2Mbit and the up stream is 1Mbit for all

blackwings

well, dsl etc is atleast half duplex, fiber (maybe cable too) is full duplex. ANd Pur, ya you right, many passive users cause more traffic, maybe I'm lucky and haveing many active users, hmm, let check.... well, I have kind of 50/50 with active and passive users.

imby

QuoteOriginally posted by D-J Valhala
heya plop  :D
can you please give me ALL
"Maximum upload speed of 1Mbit-10Mbit
can handle maximum ??? users"
thanks in advanced  :)

You have a formula here:

Mb = 1024
Upload_speed = 128-- in Kbit's

N=sqrt(Upload_speed)*20

Even i coud work this out and i haven't studied Maths for four years :D

imby

BTW i have about 100 users at the moment and they don't take more than 4 kb/s upload peak. It's about 50/50 active and passive to.

BoJlk

well...with aDSL connection 768/96
you'll download from me at max 96kbit/s = ~12Kbyte/s

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by imby
QuoteOriginally posted by D-J Valhala
heya plop  :D
can you please give me ALL
"Maximum upload speed of 1Mbit-10Mbit
can handle maximum ??? users"
thanks in advanced  :)

You have a formula here:

Mb = 1024
Upload_speed = 128-- in Kbit's

N=sqrt(Upload_speed)*20

Even i coud work this out and i haven't studied Maths for four years :D
beside this the script is posted on the start of this topic.
he can find the lua command line on my website in which he should execute the script.

half duplex means the connection can either down OR upload at the same time.
this means if you upload runs on max your download is halted, result the down speed drops (a lot) which in return is causing lag because it can happen that the clients need 2 resend data.
qos is the answer 2 this, and whether your isp does it for you or not you allways gain from it.
simply because the isp can't stop your computer from sending data, it just can slow down the data 1ce recieved.
but this still means your connection can max out.
by enabling it you keep a bit of bandwidth free for the moment it's really needed (the moment you would get lag).
some routers, for example the speedtouch 510 have qos support, just you won't find it in the documentation or on the webinterface.
you can configure qos from the speedtouch by using a telnet connection 2 the router.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk