some questions about Sygate and MAC adresses

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

some questions about Sygate and MAC adresses

Started by blackwings, 05 December, 2004, 03:27:20

Previous topic - Next topic

blackwings

I have Sygate and I see that Sygate can block MAC adresses. So when I see that I get attacked in the security log, can I block the remote MAC adress? The Sygate log different MAC adress of the different attackers, so it seems like it isn't my own router MAC adress or one of my ISP servers MAC adress. But could it be possible that it really is a MAC adress of one of my ISP servers, I mean, the way the differnet hackers connect to me , maybe they go through different servers of my ISP to get to me = I see in the Sygate log different remote MAC adresses. So is it the attackers MAC adress I see or is it one of my ISP servers MAC adress I see??

Anyway, I wasn't really worring about the hackers.  What I was thinking of was a smart way to "more" permently ban people. My idea is to block the IP to the person I want to perm ban in Sygate, then use !kick on him and when he tries to reconnect, he gets blocked + Sygate log the MAC adress that he has. Then I block the MAC adress in Sygate = More permantly banning than just banning the IP+username in ptokax

Anway, that brings us back to the first thing I said. If it isn't the hacker/users remote MAC adress, that it is one of my ISP servers MAC adress, so if I block a MAC adress to one of my ISP servers, that would maybe mean that I will block a large part of the internet = it's really bad if it was like that :(

(right now when I'm writing this I'm very tired, so I'm really sorry if what I'm wondering is hard to understand, but please bare with me ok? :)  )

Cypher

whats the point on banning a mac address when mac addresses can easily be spoofed?

NotRabidWombat

MAC addresses do not resolve over routers.

-NotRabidWombat

I like childish behavior. Maybe this post will be deleted next.

blackwings

QuoteOriginally posted by NotRabidWombat
MAC addresses do not resolve over routers.

-NotRabidWombat
which mean that it isn't the hackers mac adress I see in the log?

BoJlk

MAC address are changed after beeing routered.

/edit
only the ISP servers/router with the hacker work thru know the MAC address.  :(

witch could be spoofed.

Quoteblackwings: "block the IP to the person I want to perm ban in Sygate, then use !kick on him and when he tries to reconnect, he gets blocked + Sygate"

I used the same technique Blockin an IP thru FireWall, but allmost all Users has a Dynamic Addresses, so it's relevant till he get a new IP address.

blackwings

QuoteOriginally posted by BoJlk
MAC address are changed after beeing routered.

/edit
only the ISP servers/router with the hacker work thru know the MAC address.  :(

witch could be spoofed.

Quoteblackwings: "block the IP to the person I want to perm ban in Sygate, then use !kick on him and when he tries to reconnect, he gets blocked + Sygate"

I used the same technique Blockin an IP thru FireWall, but allmost all Users has a Dynamic Addresses, so it's relevant till he get a new IP address.
damn and I just thought I have found a great way to "more" permently ban users to my hub :P

BoJlk

yep...i'm out of ideas allso

Maybe plop will have an idea?

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by BoJlk
yep...i'm out of ideas allso

Maybe plop will have an idea?
on some rare isp's the dns is linked 2 the account, so nomather what IP they dns stays the same.
but it's a lot easier 2 configure a network by linking the dns 2 the IP.
but you can forget about using MAC addy's.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk