Think about this...

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Think about this...

Started by Snooze, 15 July, 2004, 12:25:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Snooze

I found this on another forum and couldnt help think about some of the people in here ..

QuoteDon't claim that you have found a bug

When you are having problems with a piece of software, don't claim you have found a bug unless you are very, very sure of your ground. Hint: unless you can provide a source-code patch that fixes the problem, or a regression test against a previous version that demonstrates incorrect behavior, you are probably not sure enough.

Remember, there are a lot of other users that are not experiencing your problem. Otherwise you would have learned about it while reading the documentation and searching the Web (you did do that before complaining, didn't you?). This means that very probably it is you who are doing something wrong, not the software.

The people who wrote the software work very hard to make it work as well as possible. If you claim you have found a bug, you'll be implying that they did something wrong, and you will almost always offend them ? even when you are correct. It's especially undiplomatic to yell ?bug? in the Subject line.

When asking your question, it is best to write as though you assume you are doing something wrong, even if you are privately pretty sure you have found an actual bug. If there really is a bug, you will hear about it in the answer. Play it so the maintainers will want to apologize to you if the bug is real, rather than so that you will owe them an apology if you have messed up.

Troubadour

Awesome speech with very nice thoughts!

Regards,
Troubadour
Regards,

Troubadour

** Guardian Forum **

hubaddy:   nederfun.no-ip.com

[NL]Pur

i can't agree here,

not every script is opensource, so you can't patch,

I think the point about, because other ppl don't have the problem it isn't a bug, is a bit weird to think.

Must i assume now that if only 1 person is having the problem it isn't a bug, and if 50 ppl have it is a bug.
Maybe the 50 ppl do all the same thing wrong. I'm just saying howmany ppl having a problem doesn't have anything todo with the definition of a bug.

About scripters on this forum, i think all of them script with the ''technique'' , trial on error. None (maybe 1) of them are making first Uml models, state diagrams, use cases etc before actually coding.

And think i'm a developer, and i'm not offended when someone says finding a bug and it isn't a bug.

I think it only shows that someone wants to make your program work for them. And there's nothing better then developing a program that is be used widely.

Snooze

I agree with your statement, [NL]Pur.

This isn't ment as a guideline .. just something to think about.

Bug reports are important for developers, though I do think that one should think about how the bug is reported.

Corayzon

very interesting snooze,

i think it depends on the type of development and the type of program being writin, and sometimes it may also depend if its open source aswell as the developers personalities and integrity.

hmm...i could write so much but i have no time...eheh

ppl can proove me wrong if they wish, and if so, they can have thier name somewhere in the script that they prooved me wrong with if they are correct.

ohh, i will say.

what is a bug?
how can bugs happen?
and what can bugs do?

noza

NightLitch

Don't know if this got something to this for writing lua but:

function NewUserConnected(NLitch)
  NLitch:SendData(BotName, "Welcome.....")
end

function DataArrival(uLitch,dLitch)
  local s,e,datastream = strfind(dLitch, "(.*)%|")
end

but of course my point here is not hard changing of course.

This maybe totally out of what you all discussion.

/NL
//NL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk