PtokaX and Windows 2000

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

PtokaX and Windows 2000

Started by NotRabidWombat, 28 January, 2004, 14:57:16

Previous topic - Next topic

NotRabidWombat

Anyone else running Windows 2000 Pro expierencing a blue screen every couple of days while PtokaX is running?

-NotRabidWombat

I like childish behavior. Maybe this post will be deleted next.

kepp

Guarding    

DJ Bert

I tested ptotax on some Win versions.
Win 98 SE troubles after 3 days.
Win ME troubles afters a few hours.
I had no troubles with Win 2000 Pro.
Now i'm running Win XP Pro and no troubles.

MrBuitenhuizenJunior

Hello,

My experience:
-Ptokax at Win98 (not SE) -> some days stable after that some trouble
-Ptokax at Xp -> stable.

[NL]MrBuitenhuizen

Cyberia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else running Windows 2000 Pro expierencing a blue screen every couple of days while PtokaX is running?

-NotRabidWombat
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you installed the latest ServicePack for Windows 2000. At this moment ServicePack 4 for Windows 2000?

And DJ Bert you're right. It's also my experience how the different operating systems act in real life. Not only with Ptokax but also running other apps the system acts like you mentioned.

NotRabidWombat

Yes. I have all the latest updates. This problem has been occuring for a while and I finally pinpointed it to Ptokax. I'm not looking for suggestions to solve the problem unless someone has expierenced and fixed this problem. Otherwise, I'm just looking for someone RUNNING Windows 2000 with PtokaX and expierencing problems.

-NotRabidWombat

[NL]Pur

win2k3 and winXP home are very stable as far as i used ptokax on it.

What ptokax version are u using NOTrabidwombat ?

NotRabidWombat

Ok. Telling me that XP and Win2k3 are stable with PtokaX does NOT help me. XP is an extremely bloated OS that I despise and 2k3 is server for idiots.

Anyway, I'm using Testdrive4.

-NotRabidWombat

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by NotRabidWombat

-NotRabidWombat
2k adv server sp4 -- last 1 i can remember was on printing. lol
2k pro sp4 -- only thing which causes bsod's is my tv card.

are you running some memory management apps which might cause ptokax 2 go crazy???

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

[NL]Pur

Tx, for calling me a idiot a sneaky way.

since most blue screens come from hardware problems.
I suggest trying other comp.

when i say it runs on a other OS stable, see it as a hint too change. Since  2k3 server is loads better then any of the windows 2000 releases.

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by [NL]Pur
Tx, for calling me a idiot a sneaky way.

since most blue screens come from hardware problems.
I suggest trying other comp.

when i say it runs on a other OS stable, see it as a hint too change. Since  2k3 server is loads better then any of the windows 2000 releases.
it's 2 early 2 say that it is better, wait for a year or so.
2k3 uses more resources then 2k so in that way it's allready worse.

and the reason he calls 2k3 a server for idiots is that he wants 2 be the boss over his own compie.
he doesn't mean that you are an idiot, it's just so designed that also idiots can use it.
i also hate all the wizards in xp/2k3, when something goes wrong i want an error msg not a wizard setting everything the way M$ thinks is best.
i can remember 1 really cool thing on that on a friends xp install.
his av removed a virus and windows placed it back over and over again. lol

plop

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

NotRabidWombat

"I finally pinpointed it to Ptokax" - ie: the computer does not blue screen at all for the period of several weeks when PtokaX is not running. (several weeks cause I like to reboot it once in a while)

Never needed any memory management program for Windows 2000.

Most blue screens come from software unless you have tweaked the hardware.

Pur, could you *explain* to me what makes 2k3 so much better?

-NotRabidWombat

[NL]Pur

the best thing w2k3server has and the other windows version haven't is that  one process can't eat all the resources.

It has better buffer overflow protection too, since it survived a medium attack, what i think is very good :)
 (no firewall)
ptokax was still running under it :)

the longest uptime i had was 30 days, it didn't crashed i just restarted for a update. atm of the 30days uptime the mem and cpu usage was still the same.

i never could do that with the older windows version
Winxp sucks btw the most in mem management with long uptimes since the memory leaks away.

NotRabidWombat

Not exactly. I've actually worked and coded in Win2k3 (RC3 to latest release). I made a Windows  Media Server stress test tool (cause Microsoft's version sucks) and it did use all available resources (on both server and testers) because I coded it to do so.

You can easily control recourse management in Windows 2000 and XP versions by changing the process priority (sometimes you may want the process to use ALL available resources).

I'm do not understand what you mean by "medium attack" when referring to a buffer overflow. Windows 32 bit systems keep programs from accessing memory that does not belong to them, but it hasn't been until the release of .NET that the CRL came around and checked for invalid typecastes and overflows. But this feature is only avaible if the program was designed for .NET, and therefore is also available for all Windows systems with the .NET framework installed.

I've always seen good uptime for a Windows 2000 system (not recently cause of some wierd incompatibility).

My biggest disappointment with 2k3 was the complete lack of improvement on the Multi-User interface. You still have to use the bandwidth hug remote desktop and they did not really add anything from Windows 2000 Server. So trim the fat and the Multi-User interface and you get 2000 ;-)

Don't worry. Microsoft expects to release their next professional system in 2005

-NotRabidWombat

[NL]Pur

i agree that w2k3 isn't a revolution on windows 2000
tho i think they made a good turn on the default settings. IExplore isn't set wide open.  for example if you want too download something you must first add the site too the list. But that's not really new.

about the process priority, i know you want sometimes a process given all resources, the difference with w2k3 and w2000 is that with w2k3 or WinXP you can't guarantee a process the 100%

NotRabidWombat

A "blue screen" is a system crash in Windows terms. I don't get viruses or worms.

-NotRabidWombat

pHaTTy

"I finally pinpointed it to Ptokax" - ie: the computer does not blue screen at all for the period of several weeks when PtokaX is not running. (several weeks cause I like to reboot it once in a while)

Never needed any memory management program for Windows 2000.

Most blue screens come from software unless you have tweaked the hardware.

Pur, could you *explain* to me what makes 2k3 so much better?

-NotRabidWombat

well 2k handles memory differ, try downgrading to 98 *lol*

or try goto something nice like windows 3.1...lol

anyways.. possible memory handle error for 2k...as for plop actually it doesnt use more resources, it uses the equivelent, u try run the apps that it does on older os... and u will see it uses same resources...more are used making the system more stable........

btw 98 still rocks! unfortuanlte im using xp brrrr but hey it works...its better then 2k, looks nicer, and rabid why not just remove the styling, u have many more improvements on memory management..and can get it looking and feeling like a 2k system

A "blue screen" is a system crash in Windows terms. I don't get viruses or worms.

-NotRabidWombat

no, ppl has the wrong meaning for blue screen...see...system crash is blue screen 1 sec, auto reboot....basically a system failure...a system error...i/o error, other device failures etc is a blue screen, press blah to blabhalbhalhbla
Resistance is futile!

NotRabidWombat

" it uses the equivelent,"

"and u will see it uses same resources...more are used making the system more stable........"

"why not just remove the styling, u have many more improvements on memory management"

Seriously man, try to keep your story straight.
XP and 2000 use the same kernel. There are no improvements in memory management. XP (pro and home) are just useless bloat added onto 2000. So I can spend 30 minutes to an hour tring to reduce XP to what it should be, or simply install 2000. You figure it out.
I will not use 98 because it does not use safe memory management like the NT kernel.

"no, ppl has the wrong meaning for blue screen...see...system crash is blue screen 1 sec, auto reboot....basically a system failure...a system error...i/o error, other device failures etc is a blue screen, press blah to blabhalbhalhbla"

The screen is still blue, is it not? So they or both a blue screen, or in other words, a system failure.

Staying with topic. I was wrong before. PtokaX was not the problem. ATI multimedia center was. My bad.
Recomendation to everyone, don't buy ATI ;-)

-NotRabidWombat

pHaTTy

well wrong about 2000 n xp, the gui was gonna be updated for 2k release, but unfortuantle they had slight problems, so it was delayed til xp release....they did improve the memory management, not much but some.....the resources used can be less then 2000, there is more control over what u use...its also slightly more stable...

as for blue screen well kinda...but

blue screen restart is system failure....BSOD is also called blue screen which is a device failure....ie cpu skips a process, system failure is when os makes the mistake
Resistance is futile!

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
well wrong about 2000 n xp, the gui was gonna be updated for 2k release, but unfortuantle they had slight problems, so it was delayed til xp release....they did improve the memory management, not much but some.....the resources used can be less then 2000, there is more control over what u use...its also slightly more stable...
thats why i encountered a bug on xp which caused a minor 90% preformance loss.
beside that, my record lifetime for xp is 2 month's.
my record on 2k is over 2 years.

plop

Psycho_Chihuahua

Well ive had Ptokax on my Win 2000 Server for quit some time now, and i've never had a blue screen refering to ptokax.
The only one i had were because on of my Ram Blocks was buggered.

So i guess as long as all Service AND SECURITY Updates are installed, no problems should occur.

QuoteOk. Telling me that XP and Win2k3 are stable with PtokaX does NOT help me. XP is an extremely bloated OS that I despise and 2k3 is server for idiots.

Sorry but Windows 2003 Server is NOT for Idiots, seeming that one has to configure everything correctly for it even to work in an accurate way. So only a fool would let out such crap.
PtokaxWiki ?PtokaX Mirror + latest Libs

01100001011011000111001101101111001000000110101101101110011011110111011101101110001000000110000101110011001000000101010001101111011010110110111101101100011011110111001101101000

jansan

A blue screen could be a bad cell in one chip of the ram.
So the pc start and works well.... till some data are wirtten or readed in the wrong cell. Try to change and test.

Psycho_Chihuahua

Thats exactly the problem i had.

With a new set of RAM it worked fine without any probs at all.

I even did a local test in my Network with 3 Ptokax Hubs on one Win2000 Advanced Server (Athlon XP 1800+ 1gig of Ram) and even after 3 weeks the server was still running with no probs at all.
PtokaxWiki ?PtokaX Mirror + latest Libs

01100001011011000111001101101111001000000110101101101110011011110111011101101110001000000110000101110011001000000101010001101111011010110110111101101100011011110111001101101000

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOk. Telling me that XP and Win2k3 are stable with PtokaX does NOT help me. XP is an extremely bloated OS that I despise and 2k3 is server for idiots.

agree!
XP - many bad experiences (BSOD, hangs, crappy updates)
2k3 - installed it - BSOD every 15 min on my compie
2000 pro - works fine

:rolleyes:
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

NotRabidWombat

Psycho_Chihuahua,

"Well ive had Ptokax on my Win 2000 [...] are installed, no problems should occur."

Please read the entire thread before spoutting out your crap.

"Sorry but Windows 2003 Server is NOT for Idiots, seeming that one has to configure everything correctly for it even to work in an accurate way. So only a fool would let out such crap."

Speaking of crap.

Windows Server 2003
 - Purchasing the software: $999+
 - Purchasing all the manuals you'll need to really begin working with it: $200+
 - Spending weeks trying to optimize and get a running server, but still unstable: I don't know. How much IS your life worth?
 - Continuously patching and updating the server so you don't get hacked: bling bling
 - Switching to FreeBSD (stable, secure, versatile, documented, and FREE): Priceless

For all those idiots, there's Windows Server 2003.

Consider yourself flamed. Begin smacking forehead.

-NotRabidWombat

P.S. - GUI and Mice are for pansies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk