MAC Binding

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

MAC Binding

Started by Yahoo, 04 May, 2007, 11:33:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Yahoo

A user is creating a problem in my hub he is logging with ops and masters nick and baning the users of the hub and i cant do anything i have change the password of all the masters and operator but then also i am facing the same problem.
         So i thought of a script which will automatically track the MAC Address of the user When he gets in the hub for the 1st time and store it in the file and then after whenever the user gets in the hub it will check the users MAC Address and if they does not match then the user will not be allowed enter the hub and the message some message must be send  to operators something like this "a nick has not allowed to enter the hub as his MAC is not matching" one  more request tht MASTERs must be allowed to clear the MAC of user.
         All scripter and members please reply on this post if such a script is possible to create as MAC Address is the only thing which is unique and no user can disturb it OR plzz suggest me any other way
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

1) MACs are changeable.
2) The hub knows nothing about the MACs.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Yahoo

Quote1) MACs are changeable.
2) The hub knows nothing about the MACs.
1) thts y i asked tht master must be able to clear the mac of user
2) but it can be possible through script tht v can get MAC address of the user???
OR plzz suggest me someother way
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Yahoo on 04 May, 2007, 11:40:55
2) but it can be possible through script tht v can get MAC address of the user???

No.

Quote from: Yahoo on 04 May, 2007, 11:40:55
OR plzz suggest me someother way

Erm well, this needs some firewall solution, and works for clients on the same LAN only, since MAC addresses don't resolve over routers.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Yahoo

QuoteErm well, this needs some firewall solution, and works for clients on the same LAN only, since MAC addresses don't resolve over routers.
sorry but i didnt get it
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Yahoo on 04 May, 2007, 13:09:28
sorry but i didnt get it

OK. You get to the internet via routers that tell the packets where to go. This can be visualised by opening the Windows command prompt and typing e. g. 'tracert google.com'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing

Clients behind the router are on the same subnet, and they can see each other's MAC. However, if 2 clients communicate via a router, no MAC addresses can be resolved.

Yahoo

but i am hosting hub on lan so no question of router arises. as my hub is hosted behind the router... so now is it possible to create such  a script plzzzz...... can u create it
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

No, it is not possible to create such a script. The only way would be to make an inverse ARP lookup witha commandline tool, but that's insane, and it would block the hub and create popup windows every time a user connects.

Yahoo

hmm so it is impossible to create such a script..... :(
so no chance to stop such hackers. :(
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

imb

How come this chap is able to get the password?

PPK

Is easy, password is send as plain text to hub, and is very easy to sniff it on lan...
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Rincewind

Hi ninad,

Does your LAN assign you static or dynamic IPs? If static it could be scripted so people can only login with a specified IP

Stormbringer

Use a script to protect your OP count, for example it's inbuilt in leviathan but I think it was done as standalone script
On connection, the checking is done, if the ip (or dns) doesn't match with count then the user is ban or disconnected automatically :)

Yahoo

i dont want the script check the ip bcoz user change the op very offen (infact i change my ip everyday) so it will be not tht effective. thts y i gave the suggestion of MAC address bcoz it the only thing tht is unique to all pc
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

Stormbringer

nope it's not unique cause it can be change.
for the pronlem of dynamic ip, ask them to create a dyndns or no-ip account (for those who have a static ip it's not useful), so you can enter the dns and not the ip in the script, by this way your OP count will be protected, it's the most secure way that we have for the moment, I think Toobster made a standalone script of count protection, give it a try, you will see it's a good one :)

achiever

well i think we use static ips on LAN that mostly starts with 172.xx.xx.xx or 10.xx.xx.xx.

can we not have set of few such parameters that can not be changed by a user on daily basis and the combination will be unique for each user.
share size could be of it, i think b'coz its should be very difficult for ne user to have the EXACT share as that of ne other to the very last bit, isnt it?

so if there are 2 or 3 such "unique parameters" (i.e if share size was 1) then it would be good enough.

thks,
thks,
achiever.

bastya_elvtars

I think this is what the FilterBan script is trying to 'achieve'. :P
However, the protocol hould care about this.

bastya_elvtars

Must be a weird LAN where all are allowed to change their IPs all the time. I am a network administrator with ~200 clients so I know what I am talking about.

Yahoo

hi mutor, what do u think can this script be possible to create???
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: Yahoo on 05 May, 2007, 17:17:23
hi mutor, what do u think can this script be possible to create???

Again: this can not be scripted.

Yahoo

if we try to create a program ( in c or c++) which will give us MAC Address of a user and store it in a file and then the script will work on tht file something like this
"BoRN FIGhTEr"

bastya_elvtars

This can be done with Windows commandline tools. How to achieve:
1) Ping the address.
2) Locate it in the arp table (arp -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
3) You can feed this info to Lua, but this will kill your hub, this is not a recommended method.
Complain at your netadmin instead.

achiever

Quote from: bastya_elvtars on 05 May, 2007, 13:46:53
Must be a weird LAN where all are allowed to change their IPs all the time.
acutally its a budding lan, i usually reg 3 to 5 ppl every day and my hub is not the that big compared to other hubs.
that means there are many NEW ppl coming every day so thats the reasons ips keeps on changing.

Quote from: Mutor on 05 May, 2007, 18:05:12
The best way I think is to attack the source.
the source would be to remove the hackers from hub?
i wont mind doing even that to protect my hub
thks,
achiever.

bastya_elvtars

Is static IP an option?

achiever

well bastya i m not clear with term static ips or dynamic ips. :-\

but i still kno its static ip that we use.
thks,
achiever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk