to compile or not to compile - Page 2

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

to compile or not to compile

Started by c h i l l a, 06 January, 2004, 10:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintSinner

seems to be a heated topic,
i understand both sides of the argument

but i guess i am leaning more towards
not compiling

why
becouse i cant read the code, i like to look at it and see how it works,
 and what if and now this is a BIG WHAT IF,
lets say a angry scripter comes here and releases a
compiled script, with malicious code, no way of telling
of his malicious intent with a compiled script.
and not to say any of you guys will do it, I think you
guys are kewl. but something to think about.

c h i l l a

well, I think its up to all of us.
I will never give out a compiled script,  well maybe yes, but only as add..  for those who like compiled better.

I see compiling a little like, consoring a script. And from my point of view censoring hasn't taken us far till now.

We could start a test..
One forum with open scripts, and one with closed.
And see whitch one will have more progress.

But well its up to oneself,

Some wize words.

"Your mind is like a parachute it has to be open to work"

you can interprete it as you want, in my case I replaced the word mind with community.

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by c h i l l a
Some wize words.

"Your mind is like a parachute it has to be open to work"

you can interprete it as you want, in my case I replaced the word mind with community.
some more wise words.

programming is 20% knowledge, 80% creativety.

if you have a couple brainy ppl with no creativety working on a open source project they can easely be beaten by a couple creative ppl working on a closed source project.
same can happen for a group competing with a loner, the group can work faster but extra troubles can appear on conflicts on pieces from the other persons.
a loner mostly knows what he done and where so again he can win.
it's all like a stock market, can go everyway any moment.
i used channelbot 0.9 as base for my a.i. but more then 80% is or rewriten or writen from scratchs (freeslots/whois isn't done by me).
i like a puzzle, mostly the hub owners/ops/users tell me an idea and i want 2 find a way 2 do it myself.
and everytime i try 2 do it different.
and in the mean time i still have an open parachute (just like all the other scripters who compile there script) by helping others with the problems or making standalone scripts.
you might not be able 2 see the full source of a.i. but still by putting all scripts 2gether i posted here you can see all the tricks i use.
dc is a communety of sharing indeed but compiling or not, sharing still happens.
for me a.i. is and whill be the only compiled only script.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

pHaTTy

well, heres one for you, which is more sucessfull

Microsoft windows, or Linux

pretty simple Windows, and why, because they stick to themselves, if other companies started writing windows and releasing it, it would be chaos, and they are not open source.....
Resistance is futile!

NotRabidWombat

WOW. On what basis are you assuming Windows is more successful than Linux (or other nix distros)? Look at the major servers online with almost 100% uptime. They are primarily a BSD distro running apache. Both are open source and free.

Compiling a lua script does not add any security to it. It's still pretty easy to reverse engineer it and make alterations. In fact, the lua compiler is open source making it easier to reverse ;-). The only benifit to compiling lua is speed.

-NotRabidWombat

I like childish behavior. Maybe this post will be deleted next.

pHaTTy

well i prefere linux, but windows has been the most longest sucessfull OS running and u know it ;)

the reason really is because its newbie friendly...
Resistance is futile!

SaintSinner

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
well, heres one for you, which is more sucessfull

Microsoft windows, or Linux

pretty simple Windows, and why, because they stick to themselves, if other companies started writing windows and releasing it, it would be chaos, and they are not open source.....

but you measure sucess as a monetary thing
will you start selling scripts...lol
who would you rather have programing for you
shady windowz
or
all out there linux
more people use windows becouse they have to
i use windows at work becouse i have to
but when i get home
i use redhat or suse linux
only one cpu has winblows
becouse nix is better and more stable
more and more people are using linux and the numbers keep growing,
yes winblows is sucesfull in building its own destruction.

pHaTTy

yep i totally prefere linux like i said, but its just an example ;)
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

another example is ptokax, scripters of some scripts dont want there script to be taken and sent in different directions, hence i release a lot of script in open source apart from Gekko and BaNDiT, but i hvae quite a few different reasons for this, but if someone wants to know how todo somthing in that script i will help and show them, its easier to be shown how something works then being given some code....and you also learn more ;)

so anyways ptokax, and open dchub, opendchub is open source of course, and it aint very popular, it there for ppl to work on but still not, ptokax is closed, and its powerful and lotsa peeps use it, sanp with YHub....it is also closed but very well known and used.....
Resistance is futile!

NotRabidWombat

What about DC++? Do you consider that popular? How about Netscape? Opera? GAIM? Privoxy?  MySQL? PHP? Even lua is open source. I could go on and on with open source projects and their success stories.

The fact remains... compiling lua script does not secure it from being *stolen* (it's hard to steal what someone gives away for free). Compiling lua script will only make it faster.

-NotRabidWombat

BlazeXxX

Phew a hot discussion going on here  :O

OK lets release compiled versions of scripts like others doing now and lets look in the future..

Lets say for e.g. Optimus,plop,phatty and other countable scripts who are here leaves after a period of time. Where would u be able to continue the work of others left and get the ideas from them and carry on from it to keep lua alive?

If Amutex compiled all of his scripts and posted in forum and said Good bye to everyone, would it be useful for others to learn from ?

If ptaczek leave us with the current TD 4 version , which is not widely used.. wouldn't another person with some knowledge want to carry on from where he left ?

If DC++ was taken that way, where would u see oDC++, DCK++, PDC++,RevConnect? and so on?

We are not asking all scripters to give up their rights, but i am sure if someone thinks how to compile, they can surely think how to protect credits within a script package?

I only disagree of uncompiled version cuz ppl can remove the credits, but if someone does like i said find a way to make the credits chaning impossible?

Phatty mentioned that they can remove the DoFiles? What if u have some sort of setting within that file which requires to run this whole file?

Like for programs, we got Serial code which authorises user?

Something like
Activatekey=8HS7DT5AS5TD78HST845
Author="BlazeX"

So when someone runs a script and they remove the Dofile like phatty said, are they goign to go thru the whole lines and find where its requiring activate key and remove it and use it?

If someone can do that, they will surely be someone who can program. So out of 100 it will be only 1 or 2 who wud go this far.

Please consider this type of idea in order to keep Lua and ptokax alive and much intresting.

kepp

^^
From what i've heard Compiling scripts only makes it slower... but hey...  that's only what i've heard!
Guarding    

NotRabidWombat

No. Compiling will make Lua scripts run faster. It will not affect memory usage at all.

It's unlikely a serial will protect a script. I've gone and tried to find a way to secure scripts for lua but have found nothing (you would need the module support of Lua 5.0).

Guys, these are just scripts... for a hub software. Don't get to worried if credits get removed. It's happened to all of us ;-)

-NotRabidWombat

c h i l l a

true...  once one takes things to serious, one get pissed oof too fast, looses track of the aim, and creativity, and plop,
as I said, we need to do the test, one forum open other closed (compiled),
then we'll see.

so I think i will get a reverse compiler for LUA 4.0 and thats it..

other thing how much faster is a lets say big lua script for ptokax,  around 100kb.

pHaTTy

well, for those that are willing to r4everse compile etc etc, must have knowledge of lua, and most ppl that remove credits and so on, have not much knowledge of lua, so if you willing todo that, then be my guest but please w8 until the actually release and not beta releases....

for example, my new gamebot, i have many things to add, i cud have just w8ed to release it, then done so, or i could have done what i did, and let ppl have a sneak preview, if i go spend all my time adding something and someone else has done it b4 me, i will get real pissed off at the fact ive been wasting my time......

-phatty
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

btw i never did say i wud not ever release source code for this script, if you read thru first posts you will see it was only beta, so...... i noticed this thread only appeared since i posted that script, maybe its over greed, or just pure laziness, you all want to take and copy code, instead of asking how todo something, really...how simple is it to ask....."how did you make it spin the reels?" or something like that, you will find out so much more as you will get bits of that code, and get to hear of what i went thru writing it etc etc
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

btw i put it down to laziness, someone on my network, used to try write scripts, until he found this forum, then he got lazy and stopped because he thought whats the point if the code is copy and paste, so if u deeply look at it, we are losing scripters, not gaining them, i think you all shud keep to yourselves, not complain for what you get, if you want the code to learn from then ask them, if they say sure there ya go m8, or if they say, no way, then thats not a problem, just leave them alone, like i said in a earlier post, i was talking with guibs about the same thing, i honestly can see lua going down hill when there a few scripters left, and a load of lazy asses sitting copying and pasting code.........

pffff
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

and one more thing cause i aint got time for you sort of ppl, beta and uncooked are similar,

you use the code from beta it can turn out bad, you eat roar food then you'll end up bad, w8 until its fully cooked b4 eating it.........
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

and one more thing cause i aint got time for you sort of ppl, beta and uncooked are similar,

you use the code from beta it can turn out bad, you eat roar food then you'll end up bad, w8 until its fully cooked b4 eating it.........

and chilla, thought you were a calm sort of guy, but now i see the oposite side, not just him but i can see greed in alot of these posts, like as if they NEED THE CODE NOW, if some comes to me and says they need something thats not the ned of the world, then ill telll them what they can go do......$?$?....if someone comes and asks me can i have then thats a complete differ story and chilla if you are willing to go decompile it, i can see more greed then the lot put together, and Rabid i can go on for ever too with loads of sucessfull compiled projects ;)

if you lot learn to w8, then maybe you would learn more, but you are just like a angry mob, btw, i told u long time ago, when i leave i would be leaving you all something, have you ever thought what it was, to tell u the truth i think i might not now, i think ill just let you all struggle to decompile it, as its pretty much pissed me off reading thru these
Resistance is futile!

c h i l l a

phatty, me intends are not evil, I respect the work,
really, and I was just a little upset, I have nor reverse compiler...  would like one though, and your game scripts its really cool...
the idea, but it can be coded by anyone who has a little knowledge, dunno I could, but I like yours, so why should i, and removing credits isn't my type.
so no worries.

I am scripter too, I don't want my credits to be removed.

pHaTTy

but you if you read back, and ppl muct be patient, the whole point of it being compiled was so once i finished modding it to death, then you wud all get a nice suprise with soem nice code to try make better, and learn from, but i think ppl just go to far, and i see i do not belong here afterall, ppl dont go asking for alient versus predator to be open source do they...thats where i belong, gaming, and i always have, i help, as much as i can, if i get questions about a function in a game, i will help, but releasing the source is giving them an easy task, honestly its not always about the credits, and yes its nice to have open source, i have released loads of open source projects, but i do not release open source beta.....
Resistance is futile!

c h i l l a

now i read it all, you think its all about your script, well..

okey, see i found a few compiled scripts lately, and then yours...  didn't excpect you to give out a compopiled ever, that why I got  alittle pissed,  and started this thread, but I see there are some reasons, why, I mean okey you want your game bot, okey it can be reversed but only by a few, so I guess you have yours.

but I still think, that open is nicer, and I think those who copy paste get lazy well, we humans all are, but only those who can do will be able to go on, and bring to code what is in their heads.

c h i l l a

I mean your game bot is really good. And I'd take it also if its compiled ;).

And as rabid says, lets just don't take it too serious, I will respect your needs, and won't bother, I should know that yo have your reasons...

but maybe still this thread will still persuade that open code is better...

I mean it can even happen that people read the code see what can be done better and post a solution... dunno.

But I can't persuade everybody to do it, and I won't.
Its just my feeling, when people give out free things its nice, and open is nicer, I mean this world is full of censoring and shit, well.. hope you get me.

Optimus

mm, Compiling a Package is so far, but Compiling every single script goes to far.. Yups

If i speak for me self i will only Compile my Package all other scripts i make/made or whatever i do it will be Uncompiled...

I think there is some compiling Fever inhere!!!

Yups, yups

L8trs Opti

SaintSinner

scripters want their credits protected and that is ok by me and the rest of us,
and i think the compiling could be done on the BIGGER scripts for speeds sake,  (if it really does help).
but how about compile the scripts but also add a text file with the code with some functions missing so its cant be ran, that way really interested scripters will ask how that was done.
This way credits are protected,
budding scripters can learn from your code,
and everyone is happy again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk