to compile or not to compile - Page 3

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

to compile or not to compile

Started by c h i l l a, 06 January, 2004, 10:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

BlazeXxX

Opti, Thx for agreeing the fact that there is a fever of compiling going on here...

If everyone starts compiling all their scripts, are we gonan get anything from it? Its a simple NO.

Phatty: I understand what u are saying, non of is asking to release uncompiled version of your scripts all the time.. but wen someone wants to learn isn't there a way of releasing uncompiled version after sometime ?

Like lets say, Robocop 5.0b is released as compiled version one week or two weeks back.. When opti release the next version, if he is satisfied that he made some major changes to this version of Robocop.. He might as well consider releasing the uncompiled version of 5.0b ?

Even if you guys release the uncompiled version late, or atleast give it to the ppl who wants to learn from it.. e.g. Chilla

If ChannelBot was compiled right at start, i bet there won't be any of those script packages available now...

I seen many features , or exact same features in most of the script packages as channelbot.. How did that happen ? If Guibs compiled it , would we be able to get ideas from his scripts?

And You guys gotta see that we don't have much of scripters here right now..

We missing major scripters.. Some names here: aMutex,Skrollster, RabidWombat,Piglja,KlownietKlowniet and many others..

They did a great work for LUA and ptokax and we all know their ability.. If they all thought abt these compiling every script they make.. It wudn't have got us so far to the success.

When someone requests for scripts, i search thru my colletion of scripts nowdays and see if its there.. If i find smilar one, i wud want to modify it and fulfill that user's request.

I am scared in 1 year time, when i try to complete someone's request.. I wud find all scripts in my collection as compiled ones.. cuz thats how its going rite now..

Please consider the Advantages and Disadvantages of compiling.

Hope the LUA scripters recognise this is going to be a major pbm in future wen its comes to less scripters...

pHaTTy

well for the record, gekko v2 upwards have always been wrote fromm scratch, i do not copy and paste unless i have asked in a thread, i do not see the point, like other day i signed up at a forum just to ask one question for direct x, once i got an answer, i left happy, altho i cud have simple downloaded some source and found it myself, but its not the same as learning ;)
Resistance is futile!

[NL]Pur

i'm been very long time at this forum,

and i don't thing those ppl who are now saying that we should compile script have ever learnt how to script, if scripters earlier compiled there scripts.

The best way of learning scripting is read scripts from others, hear others how you can optimize them, improve them etc.

I think main idea of lua forum is too learn lua and have a good time.

And credits, you think you ever win a prize with your lua script or make money of it.  Credits are too respected you don't copy'en'paste a whole script and put your name on it. But i think every scripts using functions that are written by others, and some functions we just forgotten by whom they are written.

/Pur

AlwaysConnected

i noticed that complied scripts are working faster
and takes less cpu and mem of the main

but indead open scripts are better

but the builder of the scripts can do whit it what he wants

((UKSN))shad_dow

hello all

to those whoknow me on here , i newbee .. and yse i do ask about bits of scripts , even learn alot for the How to.. section :)

but i agree with boths sides .. here i trie to explaian from a newbee (which i am)

yes open code is better if ur willing to learn , i like to ask for code esplicay if the systex errors in like xxx = nil ,etc

yes i like compiled scripts too , cos yes ur protecting ya code and creadits .....

as for cut & paste from my point of veiw id very hard as its not easy just to cut say Kick fuction from 1 script and get it to work on with another script , reason way becouse u all use diffent strsub arreys , if it were that easy to cut and paste then it would be easy to put 10 scripts togher which it aint and we have a fourm full of scripters..

every scripter here as a style and diffent way of codeing lua , which i prefer over VB anyday..

now to the point of this post , yes it would be nice if u sayare at versio 4 of ur bt and its complied , to relse version 1s code ,but if u i rather have some bits missing from it that when ran i can read the stsex and try and work out why it dont work ,then after many hrs i go ask in here for help , and as for copyrights , i all ways keep them in ,now that i know what i have to do with the copyrights (big thx for the scripters in here who point that bit out to me)

basicly if u wont ppl like me to learn then give us open code from very earily versions of ur scripts (whith bits missing so we can @ least try and learn our selfs before having to ask)

pps . sorry if thsi is long winded and mis-spelt , but thats how i see from being a newbee , all we wont is help were needed

pps .. sorry if i offend any one here , dident mean too
creator of Therapy-X? bot

[NL]Pur

Quotei noticed that complied scripts are working faster
and takes less cpu and mem of the main

but indead open scripts are better

but the builder of the scripts can do whit it what he wants

well yes it's a bit faster and yes the builder can do what ever he wants. I'm just sharing my view, and why i have it.

Maby some ppl will change, by giving both compiled and sourcecode too the board.

I come here for the source code not for the compiled scripts :P

NotRabidWombat

Brrrr... why don't you people have your cake and eat it too. Take all of your open source scripts that you downloaded and compile them when you want to use them! Here's a link the the lua 4.0x compiler I compiled a while back (only for Windows). http://students.dwc.edu/cbarber/luac.exe. Perhaps someone else can host it on some scripting page.

NOTE: The scripts must still have the lua file extension. I recommend something like scriptname-c.lua.

-NotRabidWombat

I like childish behavior. Maybe this post will be deleted next.

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by NotRabidWombat
Here's a link the the lua 4.0x compiler I compiled a while back (only for Windows). http://students.dwc.edu/cbarber/luac.exe. Perhaps someone else can host it on some scripting page.

NOTE: The scripts must still have the lua file extension. I recommend something like scriptname-c.lua.

-NotRabidWombat
the scripts archive maby ??
optimus go 2 work. lol

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

((UKSN))shad_dow

QuoteFor example, the How-To's i wrote ppl may use them, but all they are doing is copying and pasting, they were original ment so you can understand the code, and then write it yourselves, but ppl cut and paste, altho they do ok as ppl ask questions, maybe i shud just goto talking about it, and let all doobs write it, and then they can learn to fix there mistakes instead of leaving them and not realising

yes and no phatty , i for 1 would rather have code of u lot that makes me check with ptokax for errors ,which makes think about sorting it , before comeing  and  asking ( as some of u know i do) ...

as for cut & paste if it were that easy how come there are not 5000 bots and 100 + scripters them ???????

look i dont wont to upset / flame or piss any one off , like i said way to do it when robocop 6 or mean machaine 5 is relesed as compiled , then i think its fair for the scripters to release the robocop 1 and mean machine 1 code as this will not have as much as the lastes version , and ppl like me can at least look and learn who u got from V1 to V6
creator of Therapy-X? bot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk