Internal & Exteral IP, Connection Issues

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Internal & Exteral IP, Connection Issues

Started by fakemoonlanding, 15 September, 2006, 21:29:52

Previous topic - Next topic

fakemoonlanding

Okayyyyyyyyyy.
So, I'm on a cable line and I have the server setup with an internal static IP. Users outside of our household (like my computer at work, etc) can connect using our ONE external IP associated with our Cable Modem. Port forwarding setup on our router so that it port forwards default to the hub.

1. Two internal ip addresses (192.168.1.xxx) can connect and transfer files to one another
2. Two external ip addresses (blah.blah.blah.blah) can connect and transfer files to one another
3. One external ip address and one internal ip address cannot communicate with one another over the hub, though they are both able to connect simultaneously.

There are no conflictions with user names. Any ideas?

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: fakemoonlanding on 15 September, 2006, 21:29:52
3. One external ip address and one internal ip address cannot communicate with one another over the hub, though they are both able to connect simultaneously.

This is how it's meant to be. RFC1918-addresses are not routable. The only solution is to bind the clients to the external IP (Bind address) and connect to the hub using the ext. IP as well (even better: the hostname), thus allowing all their packets to communicate with the 'outer world'.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

sotsa

Hello !

It would seem I have the same kind of problem BUT I use the external hostname for the hub.

If I understand this correctly :
MyUserName (192.168.0.254) > $ConnectToMe ExternalUserName 192.168.0.254:1201
that means external clients see my internal IP.
No wait, 192.168.0.254 is the internal address of my router...

Is this the source of the problem ?
What do you mean by "bind address" ?

dannyboyrulesman

So are you guys saying that if I am running the PtokaX hub and also running the dc++ client on the same computer I will be unable to search for files?  Will other users in the wider internet be able to see my file list?

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: dannyboyrulesman on 27 October, 2006, 06:32:32
So are you guys saying that if I am running the PtokaX hub and also running the dc++ client on the same computer I will be unable to search for files?  Will other users in the wider internet be able to see my file list?

1) No, you'll be able using public IPs.
2) Yes.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Tw?sT?d-d?v

I have the same Cable & Router  .... just connect to hub via Routers internal ip     192.168.*.*:port
and in DC++ Client put in External ip address 

No probs here with that     hub runs fine and search works fine  :)

i have 3 pc's set up on that router and they work fine across each other .. if i need files from other pc using dc++ i just alter the ip addy in dc settings to internal ip 192.168.*.*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk