PeerGuardian 2 Public Beta released !!!

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

PeerGuardian 2 Public Beta released !!!

Started by blackwings, 25 February, 2005, 18:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

blackwings

yup, thats right, methlabs has finally released PG 2 Public Beta. Even if it's called Beta, it works excellent, so far no troubles :D Which is understandble because they are great developers + they have made extensive testing of PG2 with their beta testers.

There are 2 versions, one version for XP/win2000/win2003 users and other version for windows 98/ME users.

You can download PG 2 Public Beta here(there are also more info + screenshots) =
Click here to get to the PG 2 dl site

For the moment, the server that PG2 use for auto update of blocklist, so dl the blocklist mannually here =
Methlabs blocklist

DEEP-GOA

QuoteOriginally posted by blackwings
yup, thats right, methlabs has finally released PG 2 Public Beta. Even if it's called Beta, it works excellent, so far no troubles :D Which is understandble because they are great developers + they have made extensive testing of PG2 with their beta testers.

There are 2 versions, one version for XP/win2000/win2003 users and other version for windows 98/ME users.

You can download PG 2 Public Beta here(there are also more info + screenshots) =
Click here to get to the PG 2 dl site

For the moment, the server that PG2 use for auto update of blocklist, so dl the blocklist mannually here =
Methlabs blocklist

ha, many thx 4 the info.. good news

http://deep-goa.no-ip.org
Put any term or title on me you want. What I am is what I do. I make things.

blackwings

The server for update of blocklist is up now, so update through PG2 should work now.

For those that doesn't know, this is what PG2 can do =
* 0-1% CPU usage & ,1,3-2 MB in memory
* Block bad IP's in all protocols
* Multiply blocklist loaded
* A alllow list for trusted site
* A function to temporary allow connection from a IP in the   blocklist
* Has a auto&manual update function
* setting for how often PG2 should check for update of the blocklist.
* Show the name of the connection that is blocked, the direction of  this connection.
* A blocklist manager
* a option that makes it even take less CPU/Memory (but that isn't needed when it only takes 0-1% CPU and 1.3-2MB in memory)

Later on, PG 2 will also get a plugin system that can give PG2 lots of new function.

DEEP-GOA

PeerGuardian 2 vs. Protowall
wanna c which one is "better".. performance it`s 4 sure the piece of capital importance .. let`s check  8)

bastya_elvtars

Yes, PG is a really great piece of software... but i recommend protowall as it filters the highest level possible in windows (installs as network service), giving no chance to malware - and protowal 2.0 beta does not hog your computer at all as well. it has a major disadvantage though: it filters http.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

blackwings

QuoteOriginally posted by bastya_elvtars
Yes, PG is a really great piece of software... but i recommend protowall as it filters the highest level possible in windows (installs as network service), giving no chance to malware - and protowal 2.0 beta does not hog your computer at all as well. it has a major disadvantage though: it filters http.
ehm, PG 2 works in kernel level ;)

lol. protowall. ya I heard about that in protowall you can't allow ips on port 80 and 443 :P But in PG 2 there is a easy enable/disalbe HTTP block for port 80 and 443 (PG Lite does also have it.)

And a driver/service can never be faster then something that works on the kernel level.

bastya_elvtars

Yeah, drivers are between BIOS and kernel... as windows has micro-kernel architecture -  so indeed. :P Please do not mix *nix and Win32 next time.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

blackwings

Yeah, drivers are between BIOS and kernel... as windows has micro-kernel architecture -  so indeed. :P Please do not mix *nix and Win32 next time.
who was talking about *nix :P

bastya_elvtars

Kernel level netcard access is high in *nix but not in windows. Thats why.

DEEP-GOA

Anyone have now experience with the new PG?

bastya_elvtars

New blocklist manager released, works faster and optimized in many ways.

- Get Here -

If you had a previous version, you have to uninstall (mixes things up.)

The_Fox

PeerGuardian 2 is a great piece of software, the only problems I've encountered with the latest version are these:

a) it blocks Yahoo messanger with the p2p blocklist (you need to pernamently unblock its range, if you want to use it)

b) it tends to crash on New Download Available pop-up window

DEEP-GOA

New blocklist manager released, works faster and optimized in many ways.

- Get Here -

If you had a previous version, you have to uninstall (mixes things up.)

thanks for the message,, works fine here  :]

bastya_elvtars

Als Blizzard are on blacklist, so I have to disable when playing starcraft. ;)

blackwings

Whoo!!, PG 2 beta 5 released, really nice :D
new things (in short) =
  • Much improved GUI
  • Great improvment of Log history and the listmanager
  • Few small new features
  • Some bug fixes
Download beta 5 here =
DL PG2 HERE

Full changelog here (between beta 4 and 5, check previous entries for older changelog) =
Full Changelog  

Screenshot of GUI =
(except for the "plugins" and "about" tabs and also not the colored circels in the upper right and instead of "Stay on Top" button it is "Clear Log" button)

Dessamator

Als Blizzard are on blacklist, so I have to disable when playing starcraft. ;)

hmm, u play starcraft, hehe, interesting me 2, :D
Ignorance is Bliss.

bastya_elvtars

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Fox b) it tends to crash on New Download Available pop-up window

Yes, definitely. Also when updating.

blackwings

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Fox b) it tends to crash on New Download Available pop-up window

Yes, definitely. Also when updating.
that is fixed in beta 5 ;)

Bobby1999

The mirror you've selected, mesh.dl.sourceforge.net does not currently have the file you requested. (This is an error on our part which will be fixed).

You are requesting file: /peerguardian/pg2-050412-nt.exe
Please select a mirror

That goes for all scources:(

blackwings

QuoteOriginally posted by Bobby1999
The mirror you've selected, mesh.dl.sourceforge.net does not currently have the file you requested. (This is an error on our part which will be fixed).

You are requesting file: /peerguardian/pg2-050412-nt.exe
Please select a mirror

That goes for all scources:(
does none of the PG2 sourceforge mirrors work for you?(, wierd, I dont have that problem.  

Psycho_Chihuahua

PtokaxWiki ?PtokaX Mirror + latest Libs

01100001011011000111001101101111001000000110101101101110011011110111011101101110001000000110000101110011001000000101010001101111011010110110111101101100011011110111001101101000

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk