Compiling is really lame

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Compiling is really lame

Started by CHILLCODE?, 20 December, 2006, 11:39:33

Previous topic - Next topic

CHILLCODE?

Well this discussion is very very old, but it seems to me some people stil haven't understood it.

First of all I think we are here in a community to help each other out, and exchange code
and discuss it, and how should we if the code is compiled.
That just gives one the feeling some don't want their code discussed and maybe improved by that.
Also I find it very interesting to read how people did this or that, since there are many ways to rome.

And second, nobody makes money out of his code, so there is really no point in compiling,
to prevent somebody take the code and sell it for really a lot of money, I also heared there
is reverse compiling but what would I need it for, if the codes from lua.org which are really
advanced are not compiled.
And I will not let the argument stand, that people fear some will mess with their code and then
post errors, cause that is so simple to check.

I woulde even go so far banning compiled code from this board, cause it really is no contribution to anybody,
I mean guys there are really intelligent brains out there building really usefull code like dc++, and they don't compile it,
well Ptokax is compiled too, but here we will see, what will improve faster the opensource project or this one where
only a few selected people can work on it, I do admit PPK is very fast, and here are the security issues quite different.

Well I just hope people start working more together, and I really would like to see people discussing their code
instead of hiding it from others, that is so pussy like.

bastya_elvtars

I couldn't agree more, although I don't think banning compiled scripts is good. There aren't many active scripters here, why disappoint them?
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

CHILLCODE?

Your right indeed, banning wouldn't make it better plus we wouldn't be in any way better than them cause its also in a way cencoring, also I changed the title to compiling is lame from compiling is stopid, cause compiling itself doesn't make anybody stopid, just lame and not nice.

Dessamator

Well, i'll have to agree with you chilla, the thing is those authors can compile their codes, but they should keep copy of the source code with it, like nerbos used to do, that way all the errors that emerge will probably be due to bugs.Unless the users use the source code.
Ignorance is Bliss.

Pothead

There is sometimes other reasons for compiled scripts.
Deflood ver5 for example.  For obvious reasons.
Death to adult finder is also compiled for a good reason.
Every time an update was posted, the spammer changed the spam to get around it.
Which is why i insisted that it be compiled if I was to add some advanced detection to it, which still works now (but Madman has made it more advanced over time).
So the reason that script is compiled is because of me, not Madman.  So bitch at me for it if you think it should be released uncompiled.   :)
And I'll just tell you to read the first few pages of an old thread.  ;)

But not all scripts are compiled for a good reason, and for them, I agree with you.

Dessamator

Well, I'll have to agree with you too pothead, for security scripts it is sometimes better to compile rather than the latter.
Ignorance is Bliss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk