Multisource download

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Multisource download

Started by uffetjur, 22 April, 2008, 22:46:13

Previous topic - Next topic

uffetjur

Would be interesting to know your opinion and thoughts about about multisource downloading
Lotsa users seems to be negative to this function wich finally is implemented in dcplusplus client
Somewhere in Cyberspace

bastya_elvtars

Why are they negative? It should have been implemented years ago.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

Stormbringer

Agree with Bastya, it's definitly a good features.
And for people who complain about multi source I have to reply that there's no valid reason for complaining, you take more slot on the hub, ok, but you download faster so the slot are free faster too

PPK

Quote from: Stormbringer on 23 April, 2008, 17:22:49
I have to reply that there's no valid reason for complaining, you take more slot on the hub, ok, but you download faster so the slot are free faster too
Keep dreaming, most multisource users instead of downloading from one or few fast users download from as many as is possible and block slots where normal users can download much faster :P
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Toast

lol @ PPK

u dont miss a single chance to rag on the new stuff ^^

PPK

New ??? Multisource is on dc more than 4 years.. that is not new :P
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Toast

yeah but adc etc anything thats not nmdc hehe ^^

PPK

Try something better, ADC is old too. Opera asked 11 feb 2005 on dcdev mailing list "ADC already obsolete?" .. nothing change from that time, answer is always same.. YES :P

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: PPK on 24 April, 2008, 00:54:37
Keep dreaming, most multisource users instead of downloading from one or few fast users download from as many as is possible and block slots where normal users can download much faster :P

This occurs with other P2P protocols as well and does not seem to cause problems there.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

CrazyGuy

In my opinion, the success of multisourcing depends on the number of hubs a client is connected to. And the number of users per hub.
The higher the usercount, the more sources available, the faster the download 'should' be completed, thus freeing up slots again.

I don't know what the block sizes are determined to, when it comes to multisource downloading, but maybe it's an idea to have a support similair to MiniSlots ( MultiSlots ? ) for requests of designated file blocks, to keep a few slots free for non-multisourced downloads.

Pothead

Quote from: CrazyGuy on 25 April, 2008, 13:11:15
I don't know what the block sizes are determined to, when it comes to multisource downloading, but maybe it's an idea to have a support similair to MiniSlots ( MultiSlots ? ) for requests of designated file blocks, to keep a few slots free for non-multisourced downloads.
Nice idea. :)
Block size is kind of determined (not 100% sure but something along these lines . . . )
Estimate however long it will take to download a chunk in 2 minutes, rounded to the nearest TTH Leaf.  Towards the end of the file this changes to getting a chunk in 1 minute. (this is 0.706, 0.705 was different and had a few complaints, so it's was made "smarter").

Annie

Multisource clients have good and bad sides to them. 
Bad side - As you know some users wont let go of your slots and keeping queueing and queuing so they make sure they take the slot (the inconsiderate ones that dont care if you pm them and moan about it)
Also another downside the virus's on dc if your in a full hub and dont check you can easily pick up virus's. 

Good side is yeah its faster but i choose to shut mine off  lol

endator

i can only think of two bad things and one of them iregard more as abug than something related to multisource and that is that sometimes I take more than one slot from another user in the same hub (they are ofcourse FREE slots as else I could not get them) but it dose mean that I am in fact hoggin a slot that someone else should have. On the other side - my downloads will finish faster and thus free both slots.

The other thing that be considered a bad thing is that some home routers start to behave badly on many connections even if this should have been more noticeable with torrents it seems to effect dc more (only my own personal opinion ofc).

Personally i have very little need for multi source, while I absolutely love multisegment - no rollback issues - almost zero broken downloads, perfect :)

PPK

Quote from: Annie on 29 April, 2008, 22:15:09
Also another downside the virus's on dc if your in a full hub and dont check you can easily pick up virus's. 
That have nothing to do with multisource.
Quote from: endator on 29 April, 2008, 22:35:24
while I absolutely love multisegment - no rollback issues - almost zero broken downloads, perfect :)
I don't know what you mean with multisegment. But when client correctly use TTH leaves then don't use rollback and never generate broken file ;)

Annie

I was just saying thats all  if there is infected shares in the hub and your using multisource clients  you are bound to pick up an infected file it's easily done

PPK

I don't understand what you mean, here is no difference in downloading infected file between normal downloading and multiosurce downloading  ::)

Toast

You can easily pick up virus's. 

xD that makes no sense at all :P

Annie

LOL i  know what i mean,   but if i explained you'd pick holes in that to  so i'll just leave it there :P

uffetjur

Most users who are negative to multisource download experience problems with users who set 1mb or less as max size per segment.
I'll think they do so because the want to use minislots for downloading and this is the mayor reason for critics regarding multisource

As i see a more resonable size per segment would be at least 12,5 mb per segment
and for hub owners it would be nice if  min size per segment was added to myinfo so it was possible to be set in hubs for stopping users with extremly low size per segment
Somewhere in Cyberspace

Naithif

Quote from: uffetjur on 30 April, 2008, 21:15:55
Most users who are negative to multisource download experience problems with users who set 1mb or less as max size per segment.
I'll think they do so because the want to use minislots for downloading and this is the mayor reason for critics regarding multisource

As i see a more resonable size per segment would be at least 12,5 mb per segment
and for hub owners it would be nice if  min size per segment was added to myinfo so it was possible to be set in hubs for stopping users with extremly low size per segment

The requested file's size is sent upon request, not the segment size. It should never take a minislot.

Multisource clients have good and bad sides to them. 
Bad side - As you know some users wont let go of your slots and keeping queueing and queuing so they make sure they take the slot (the inconsiderate ones that dont care if you pm them and moan about it)

Good side is yeah its faster but i choose to shut mine off  lol

Keeping queueing?
Well, it's the same behaviour on changing files. (equal chance of losing a slot on next queue item)
And it's just the same on downloading.
Multisource clients have very little delay time between segments, and monosource clients download files in one.

So actually where is that keeping queueing?? Any user queueing large amount of files takes the same chances to download regardless of mono- or multisource client he/she uses

Viruses... I can't see a way viruses spread faster on multisource than on mono. Partial files doesn't infect anything. If you meant partial file sharing feature in those clients, well yes, they share parts, but still somebody needs to search for it and download the infected file... So it's the same as every user that has "add finished files to share instantly".

Quote from: endator on 29 April, 2008, 22:35:24
i can only think of two bad things and one of them iregard more as abug than something related to multisource and that is that sometimes I take more than one slot from another user in the same hub (they are ofcourse FREE slots as else I could not get them) but it dose mean that I am in fact hoggin a slot that someone else should have. On the other side - my downloads will finish faster and thus free both slots.

The other thing that be considered a bad thing is that some home routers start to behave badly on many connections even if this should have been more noticeable with torrents it seems to effect dc more (only my own personal opinion ofc).

Personally i have very little need for multi source, while I absolutely love multisegment - no rollback issues - almost zero broken downloads, perfect :)

You can only take more slots from users while in another hub, not in the same.

About routers - there are settings to limit maximum downloads at once

PPK

Quote from: Naithif on 01 May, 2008, 15:11:45
The requested file's size is sent upon request, not the segment size.
No is not sent file size, but how much bytes is requested from file (yes it is segment size).

Naithif

Quote from: PPK on 01 May, 2008, 15:45:16
No is not sent file size, but how much bytes is requested from file (yes it is segment size).

But remote side decides on requested file's total size isn't it?

Dealmaker

;D Don't like it especially much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk