How to install Ptokax on a web server?

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

How to install Ptokax on a web server?

Started by taltul, 17 January, 2008, 18:13:15

Previous topic - Next topic

taltul

Hi,

can i install Ptokax on a web server  (it supports PHP, mySQL...)?
If not, is there another HUBsoft that can be installed?

Thank you!

PPK

No, you can't install hub on webserver ::)
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

taltul

Hmm... well i don't know a lot about this stuff... i only know that there shouldn't be any technological problem to do it... i mean what's the difference between a portal like Joomla or a PHP forum board and a DC server in terms of resources needed to run them?
I guess no one had written a version suitable to work on a webserver...
Thanks anyway!

eagle00789

Why would you want to run Ptokax on a webserver anyway? Besides that, the differences between a webserver and Ptokax is so big, that i wont even start to mention them here.

taltul

Quote from: eagle00789 on 21 March, 2008, 01:21:22
Why would you want to run Ptokax on a webserver anyway? Besides that, the differences between a webserver and Ptokax is so big, that i wont even start to mention them here.

here are a bunch of reasons:

1. A web server is up 99.9% of the time.
2. Putting a hub on my computer takes up memory & CPU and I own a low end computer....
3. I have a web server
4. A web server has much bigger download & upload rates therefore can be a better hub.

But really, reason 1 alone should be enough!

PPK

Web server is for serving web pages, you can't run on that anything else. If you want something to run hub then look for server.
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

taltul

Quote from: Mutor on 22 March, 2008, 03:06:03
The two servers do use the TCP protocol but in vastly different ways.
HTTP HEADER, GET and POST are hardly the same as a $Lock CTM or $Send.

The web server uses The HTTP spec and the hub, NMDC protocol, and thus
apples and oranges. You could script this in PHP, Perl/CGI but again, why?

1. A web server is up 99.9% of the time.
So then can the hub be. As are my many Web, FTP & Mail servers, DC hubs and client all happy together.
2. Putting a hub on my computer takes up memory & CPU and I own a low end computer....
If you're worried about the resouces PtokaX uses, consider trashing that old 486 SX 25  :P. I run many hubs on a 900Mhz
3. I have a web server
I have great legs, must I brag? Px is clearly available too, hmmm... both!? interesting concept.
4. A web server has much bigger download & upload rates therefore can be a better hub.
What's relevant here is the speed of your connection as that depicts the speed for either. They will both have that limit
A hub downloads and uploads very little and basically just text communication. File transfers are Peer To Peer.

I just don't see the sense in coding such a thing to run one protocol over another.
You haven't offered any valid reason to even consider doing it IMHO.

Are you kidding? how can I further explain? can't you see the huge advantage of having a hub that isn't running on your computer?
You can claim that it doesn't strain the CPU and it's bandwidth is negligible but in reality, a 500 users hub will take up both. we have hubs here that just crash ten times a day because of too many users on a too week computer.
Besides, a personal computer needs to be restarted once in a while because it's very dynamic... you install new programs, you change all kinds of settings... you don't want to think twice about whether or not you should reset your computer. Also, a computer sometimes crashes for unknown reasons and needs to be restarted but YOU can't monitor your computer at all times... you gotta sleep sometime! but a server is always monitored ensuring the 99.9% uptime.
Another thing is firewall! what if I'm in a university that blocks this kind of communication indiscriminately,  and i wish to have a hub that is accessible by outside users.
In my case, the university actually outlawed the operation of any kind of p2p server within the university network anyway.

taltul

i wish i could remotely host a hub... but i have no remote computer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk