a few suggestions

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

a few suggestions

Started by Fangs404, 23 April, 2005, 10:13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Fangs404

i have a few suggestions regarding the commands available to users when they type !help.

first, i'd really like to be able to edit the current list of commands users see when they type !help.  maybe an .xml file of the commands could be used so that we could easily edit the current list.  we could also add to/change the command names.  this would be nice, for example, if i wrote a script that would allow ops to use !.  i could add this line and a brief description.  without the ability to add commands, they'll never know it exists.

along those same lines, it'd be great if there were native command abbreviations.  for example, !gtb would be a nice shortcut to the wordy !gettempbanlist.  or !gi would be a nice replacement for !getinfo.  this, in a way, ties into my above suggestion.  with the ability to alter the command list, we admins could add our own abbreviations.  a nice set of abbreviations for the default commands would be really nice, though.

another feature request i have is that the !getbanlist be expanded.  for example, i think there should be 3 commands to view the ban list.  one, !getbanlist (or !gbl if you use my above suggestion), would show all of the bans currently listed.  something like:

QuoteTemporary Bans

Permanent Bans

then, the other two commands would be !getpermbanlist (or !gpb) and !gettempbanlist (or !gtb).  this would be an excellent way to be able to see all bans at once and should be fairly simple to program.

one more request (i know, this is a lot!).  currently, when i view a ban list, i see this:

QuoteTempBanList:

- [ 0 ]  <1.1.1.1> ()
- [ 1 ]  <2.2.2.2> ()
- [ 2 ]  <3.3.3.3> ()
- [ 3 ]  <4.4.4.4> ()

Use !tempunban to unban

this is great, but a feature that seems to naturally follow that i was surprised not to find is to be able to call !tempunban <#> rather than !tempunban .  it's cumbersome and a pain in the butt to have to copy text from mainchat in virtually any dc client because as the chat progresses, any highlighting done to copy text disappears.  so, being able to call !tempunban 2 should remove the user with IP 3.3.3.3.

i'm not criticizing your program, although it may look that way.  it's a wonderful piece of software, and i think the above changes would make it even more user-friendly.  keep up the good work, and i can't wait for the next version!

Dessamator

QuoteOriginally posted by Fangs404
i have a few suggestions regarding the commands available to users when they type !help.

first, i'd really like to be able to edit the current list of commands users see when they type !help.  maybe an .xml file of the commands could be used so that we could easily edit the current list.  we could also add to/change the command names.  this would be nice, for example, if i wrote a script that would allow ops to use !.  i could add this line and a brief description.  without the ability to add commands, they'll never know it exists.

along those same lines, it'd be great if there were native command abbreviations.  for example, !gtb would be a nice shortcut to the wordy !gettempbanlist.  or !gi would be a nice replacement for !getinfo.  this, in a way, ties into my above suggestion.  with the ability to alter the command list, we admins could add our own abbreviations.  a nice set of abbreviations for the default commands would be really nice, though.

another feature request i have is that the !getbanlist be expanded.  for example, i think there should be 3 commands to view the ban list.  one, !getbanlist (or !gbl if you use my above suggestion), would show all of the bans currently listed.  something like:

QuoteTemporary Bans

Permanent Bans

then, the other two commands would be !getpermbanlist (or !gpb) and !gettempbanlist (or !gtb).  this would be an excellent way to be able to see all bans at once and should be fairly simple to program.

one more request (i know, this is a lot!).  currently, when i view a ban list, i see this:

QuoteTempBanList:

- [ 0 ]  <1.1.1.1> ()
- [ 1 ]  <2.2.2.2> ()
- [ 2 ]  <3.3.3.3> ()
- [ 3 ]  <4.4.4.4> ()

Use !tempunban to unban

this is great, but a feature that seems to naturally follow that i was surprised not to find is to be able to call !tempunban <#> rather than !tempunban .  it's cumbersome and a pain in the butt to have to copy text from mainchat in virtually any dc client because as the chat progresses, any highlighting done to copy text disappears.  so, being able to call !tempunban 2 should remove the user with IP 3.3.3.3.

i'm not criticizing your program, although it may look that way.  it's a wonderful piece of software, and i think the above changes would make it even more user-friendly.  keep up the good work, and i can't wait for the next version!

damn too many suggestions and too much blah blah, keep it short and simple ,
but i get ur point some ppl would like to have abreviations of commands, well theres 2 ways of going through this, u can script them, or use right click commands and save urself the hassle,

as for command reply((getbanlist) appearing in main
its ur own fault in ptokax u can enable so that it appears in pvt,  and last but not least ur first suggestion, well, that could b added
Ignorance is Bliss.

Fangs404

QuoteOriginally posted by Dessamator
damn too many suggestions and too much blah blah, keep it short and simple ,
but i get ur point some ppl would like to have abreviations of commands, well theres 2 ways of going through this, u can script them, or use right click commands and save urself the hassle,

as for command reply((getbanlist) appearing in main
its ur own fault in ptokax u can enable so that it appears in pvt,  and last but not least ur first suggestion, well, that could b added

forgive me for trying to offer some good suggestions.  i like to make sure i'm understood.

as for your second paragraph, did you read what i wrote?  i don't care about it showing up in main.  i'm talking about having an expansion on the command.  change 2 commands into 3.  reread what i wrote.

Dessamator

hmmm really?, first of all lets analise ur text,
look at these:

Quotealong those same lines, it'd be great if there were native command abbreviations. for example, !gtb would be a nice shortcut to the wordy !gettempbanlist. or !gi

Quoteone, !getbanlist (or !gbl if you use my above suggestion), would show all of the bans currently listed

Quotethen, the other two commands would be !getpermbanlist (or !gpb) and !gettempbanlist (or !gtb).

notice a pattern there?,
u keep repeating urself, as for the last part of ur loooong essay, i do agree, it would b simpler to just use the !tempunban #, and furthermore, if u script those things as i suggested b4, u could have 1000 expansions of the command, using right click (commands as i suggested b4) would solve that too,

pls evaluate ur txt b4 u post !!
Ignorance is Bliss.

Fangs404

QuoteOriginally posted by Dessamator
hmmm really?, first of all lets analise ur text,
look at these:

Quotealong those same lines, it'd be great if there were native command abbreviations. for example, !gtb would be a nice shortcut to the wordy !gettempbanlist. or !gi

Quoteone, !getbanlist (or !gbl if you use my above suggestion), would show all of the bans currently listed

Quotethen, the other two commands would be !getpermbanlist (or !gpb) and !gettempbanlist (or !gtb).

notice a pattern there?,
u keep repeating urself, as for the last part of ur loooong essay, i do agree, it would b simpler to just use the !tempunban #, and furthermore, if u script those things as i suggested b4, u could have 1000 expansions of the command, using right click (commands as i suggested b4) would solve that too,

pls evaluate ur txt b4 u post !!

you're completely misunderstanding and not reading what i wrote.  the first thing you quoted is when i first introduce the concept of abbreviations.  i'm just using an example.  the second and third quotes have nothing to do with the abbreviations!  i'm suggestioning splitting the two commands for retieving the ban lists into 3.  this is not about abbreviations!  i suggest abbreviations that could go along with them, but you completely missed the point.

Dessamator

hmmmm, okkkkkk, ur right i was wrong, but this is the effect of longish texts, ppl start reading and they get lost . so sumarizing what u want is :

1.Abreviation of commands, and ability to change or rename all ptokax inbuild commands
2. a Banlist command which lists  both the perm and temp bans,
3.!tempunban #,
4.( useless stuff .uve already stated that b4)
Ignorance is Bliss.

ruler

eheheh  this is good  :D

The Direct Connect Global Banlist get protected.

Stravides

Fangs404 - dont rise to the bait - its a lost cause...

"ivory tower syndrome" has set in here
Stravides
For RPG Books, Mp3 & Videos
We host trivia  and the ever failing Smeagolbot

Fangs404

QuoteOriginally posted by Stravides
Fangs404 - dont rise to the bait - its a lost cause...

"ivory tower syndrome" has set in here

you're right.  :)

ok, anyway, back to the original topic (no more bickering).  how many of you would find a use for my ideas?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk