Option to change the date format of the logs

Option to change the date format of the logs

Started by pR0Ps, 27 April, 2010, 22:08:07

Previous topic - Next topic

pR0Ps

The option to change the date format of the logs would be very useful. Typically users don't really care about when something happened, only in what order and if they really care about the time, they won't mid taking the extra second to look at it and figure out the month, AM/PM, etc. Plus, its a lot more complicated to have a computer work with something like "[April 21 2010 10:15 PM]" rather than "[2010-04-21-22:15]".

Thanks

pR0Ps

pR0Ps

Mutor:
Too right, my personal preference would be if there was some kind of way to change the way to change the date to something more compact and easier (for me) to work with. Getting the month and converting it straight to an integer instead of getting the month then looking it up in a table or using a lot of if statements seems a lot less complicated to me, which is why I am requesting the option.

pR0Ps

Mutor:
......I'm not saying its harder for the computer to work with, I'm saying it's harder for ME to code for, and I'm assuming for others as well. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm simply making what I think is a valid feature request in the feature request board. Also, when I said "the computer", I simply meant the script I'm coding on the computer that analyzes the log time. Would you not agree that a number would be easier to sort by than a string, which you have to use a table to convert into a number, then sort?

pR0Ps

Mutor: The challenge has been embraced and the script is already done. This request is so that future scripters will have the option for an easier format to parse.

pR0Ps

That the person who makes DiTBoT loves them and want to make their life easier. Isn't that the goal of DiXBoT? To make running a hub more pick-up-and-play and add lots of features with little or not work on their part? Its not a huge deal, just I myself would never dream of storing a date using anything but numbers. Its easier to store, more memory efficient, easier to read in, and easier to calculate with. The only thing it is not good for is humans reading it. Therefore it would only make sense to store the date as numbers, then when it needs to be accessed and displayed to humans, spit out the more readable version. You'll never catch big software companies using anything but numbers to store a date, why should DiXBot?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk