GUI password protection

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

GUI password protection

Started by achiever, 10 July, 2007, 20:27:24

Previous topic - Next topic

achiever

can the whole hub be password protected
i.e no settings page(none of the tabs) or any file in windows should open delete copy (total) without the password entered 1s after starting the application.
though it should run without need of password and start serving and then changes should only be allowed commands as GUI is locked till it gets password.

well i feeel the need so i asked :-)
thks,
achiever.

bastya_elvtars

Quote from: achiever on 10 July, 2007, 20:27:24
can the whole hub be password protected
i.e no settings page(none of the tabs) or any file in windows should open delete copy (total) without the password entered 1s after starting the application.
though it should run without need of password and start serving and then changes should only be allowed commands as GUI is locked till it gets password.

well i feeel the need so i asked :-)

I second this idea.
Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

PPK

And where to save this password to disallow anyone who have access to computer to get it or delete it to have access to PtokaX  ??? Windows register is not safe, same with PtokaX setting file  :'(
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Madman

in memory?
and Px rembers the pass untill you turn it off.
Tho it would require the user to re-enter the pass everytime they start Px. (start the exe, not the start hub button)
We suffer in silence, we lurk in the shadows, we kill in the night
Site currently down, ETA of returning online is 2099 ;p

achiever

how does any other software with this type of password protection save their pass?

password holding file should be most securely saved, shouldnt it?

thks,
achiever.
thks,
achiever.

bastya_elvtars

Everything could have been anything else and it would have just as much meaning.

achiever

well thanks for the help and ideas guys

hope it will help ppk to add this password protection.

thks,
achiever.
and ne 1 who moves this post to new topics thanks for it but plzz mention it at both the places. :)
thks,
achiever.

PPK

Quote from: Madman on 11 July, 2007, 06:41:43
in memory?
Then will be always possible to close this PtokaX instance and start new without password.
Quote from: Mutor on 11 July, 2007, 23:52:19
There are many methods but strong encryption in a local file should suffice.
Locking that file when the hub is in use would help as well. In any event
the autostart function must be maintained.
Again, close PtokaX instance with password, delete file or password from file and start new without password.
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

achiever

Quote from: PPK on 12 July, 2007, 22:18:30
close PtokaX instance with password, delete file or password from file and start new without password.
well when ptokax is closed then there should be some outside help, some other application which could be assigned the task to do this, like folderlocks (an application helps to lock folders) or something better...

thks
achiever.
thks,
achiever.

Tw?sT?d-d?v

Couldnt pass be saved like the reg users in a .xml file and then encrypted ..
Ive seen some dc clients use this method in the fav hubs  .... 
Looking at the 1 i use ( CrZDC++ ) my passwords for hubs are encrypted in the .xml file
If password is put in , it would only be needed when bringing ptokax out from tray.

PPK

Quote from: Tw?sT?d-d?v?l on 13 July, 2007, 13:04:50
Couldnt pass be saved like the reg users in a .xml file and then encrypted ..
Quote from: PPK on 12 July, 2007, 22:18:30
Again, close PtokaX instance with password, delete file or password from file and start new without password.

achiever

well can the password not be coded into numbers and then this number be worked(operated  + - / * > < ne thing) upon and agin get converted to some othe form like(hexadecimal, octal)  and then be stored in some random file created in some place in windows.

lol it mad,
neways this kind of thing ought to work, isnt it?.

well can some 1 think of ne thing much more easier plzz help.

thanks,
achiever.
thks,
achiever.

Typhoon

Quote from: achiever on 14 July, 2007, 17:52:57
well can the password not be coded into numbers and then this number be worked(operated  + - / * > < ne thing) upon and agin get converted to some othe form like(hexadecimal, octal)  and then be stored in some random file created in some place in windows.

lol it mad,
neways this kind of thing ought to work, isnt it?.

well can some 1 think of ne thing much more easier plzz help.

thanks,
achiever.

you would still need a way to fully bypass windows to shut the process down, therefor please read PPK's last few identical posts/reply's on this thread :) .
the idea is good, but still kind of weak since all processes in windows can be killed one way or the other ;)

achiever

does this mean that this can not be done?
as no 1 has yet come up with anything to bypass windows.
i just thought that a server software should have a password protection and thus posted this request but it seems to be very difficult to do it :(

achiever.
thks,
achiever.

Mardeg

"as no 1 has yet come up with anything to bypass windows."

bastya_elvtars gave the correct answer. Run PtokaX in a TrueCrypt virtual drive.

achiever

hello ppl

i m sorry for digging up old topics, thought if it is possible to just protect it in the GUI and which will hand on even if application is restarted?

and let the windows protection stay for a while.

it would be great if could be planed how to do it and thus be made possible in new version

thanks,
achiever.
thks,
achiever.

pHaTTy

1 option would be to have a seperated small executable file which allows a user to set a password to start ptokax, it can bind a bootloader to ptokax holding the encrypted password, this would allow ptokax exe to be copied anywhere to any computer and would still require the password, however if you happened to lose the password, it would be a problem, if this is a good idea, if i get the time i might put a small app like that together.

-pHaTTy
Resistance is futile!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk