Linux

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

Linux

Started by pHaTTy, 23 October, 2003, 12:56:57

Previous topic - Next topic

pHaTTy

Ok away to install linux in 5 mins, when i get back, if anyone decides they are gonna use linux, and dunno how to use it gimme a shout, and ill help ya as much as i can ;)

-War3zMantis
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

btw, if you do, make sure you get at least mandrakes 9.1 or above, then you can still use ptokax ;)
Resistance is futile!

Snoris

I wished I could install linux...But...To afraid that EVERY single thing I?m using now not gonna work...Dont wanna take that chance  :(
If ur only could be here to help me phatty *sigh* :]

pHaTTy

lol, well its pretty simple why not make a seperate partition and use that til you get used to it ;)
Resistance is futile!

Snoris

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
lol, well its pretty simple why not make a seperate partition and use that til you get used to it ;)

Duuh.... :P
Dont have the time either  8)
*Making all the excuses there is*  :rolleyes:

I dont have the guts...OKEY??? LOL

xokas

phatty my prob with linux(mandrake 9.1) is on instalation and with the drivers(modem drivers)! i've tried at least 5 times and the other "problem" is to use mandrake! i dunno how to use it! :)))

<----- n00b here

pHaTTy

Resistance is futile!

plop

if you have trouble installing it and have only 1 computer 2 try it on, you can use vmware.
then you can start linux from windows in a window, that way if you got a quiestion you can still use i.e. 2 contact phatty.  lol
or another nice idea is 2 get pnoppix, thats 1 cd containing a full working linux with loads of apps 2 try out and get a feeling of how linux works.
just boot from it and play, just as easy as starting a game on a ps2.
all your windows fat32/ntfs partitions are mounted by default.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

pHaTTy

I honestly dont recommend using a virtual hdd, such as in a virtual computer like vmware

if you wud tempoarily like to keep windows, just use a late release of linux and start installing over windows and linux will keep your windows partition intatc and make ur linux and even install a boot selector to boot windows or linux ;)
Resistance is futile!

klownietklowniet

I think installing and running vmware is a better solution for begginers than making your pc Dual-boot...

For the modem problem, search for the HOWTO's so you can find out how to configure your system correctly...
[ > DC - UniteD < ]

pHaTTy

atcually i still do not recommend i have done this b4 and i had many problems, more then i wud have with dual boot, also using mware does not use all the correct hardware, ie it doesnt use all ur real harware, it slows your processor pretty much, and its very fussy, i highly recommecf duel boot for beginners, i found it so mcuh easier.
Resistance is futile!

klownietklowniet

It uses the real hardware... how would it work then? :-)

Thing is that it's a type of emulation. It runs on top of Windows and that is the reason it is slower. But it's great for starting point. Anyways. Try it out and tell us...
[ > DC - UniteD < ]

pHaTTy

I already have it m8 ;)

its ok for testing, but its not good for linux, it uses real hardware...........hmmmmmmmmm........are you sure you have used it???

the graphics card is emulated as a ATi Rage and the soundcard is just a simpel emulated soundblaster, go check it out ;)

btw : Linux does not like emulated hardware, thats my review....;)
Resistance is futile!

Typhoon

well, i want to use Linux but until theres a version that works on my pc i cant :( ....

have tryed : mandrake 9.0 + 9.1 , suse 8.2 pro , and lots more... all of them stops/dies in the first part off install ... only one that worked were Knoppix 3.2 and that one i just cant get online  on the net ...

so all help is taken under consideration !

***Typhoon?

kepp

Guarding    

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by kepp
Why not Unix?

Linux is a freeware version of Unix, altho now linux is more advanced then Unix,

Unix is not as good, well at least i dont think
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by Typhoon?
well, i want to use Linux but until theres a version that works on my pc i cant :( ....

have tryed : mandrake 9.0 + 9.1 , suse 8.2 pro , and lots more... all of them stops/dies in the first part off install ... only one that worked were Knoppix 3.2 and that one i just cant get online  on the net ...

so all help is taken under consideration !

***Typhoon?

Can you list all ur hardware....... ;)
Resistance is futile!

Typhoon

i can give i at try  :)

Runinng on :

AMD xp2700+ ,1gb ddr pc2700,ECS L7VTA KT400 onboard LAN chipset, MSI GF4 TI 4800SE 128ddr agp 8x,
creative SB 4.1 digital,3 maxtor hardrives on 30gb(os) 120+80GB stuff.. 1cdrw,1dvdrom

Sytem is running 333mhz FSB....

hope this helps otherwise just ask..
right now i am downing Mandrake 9.2 so lets hope .

***Typhoon?

klownietklowniet

FreeBSD is Unix and is freeware... :-)

So are other falvours of BSD. They are just as good as linux, maybe even better, all depends on purpose.

I don't see RedHat on your list. It's the one that gives the least intallation problems in my experience atleast. Why does the installation halt? What error message do you get? It usually stops to ask for the next cd. Do you get a problem to resume from there maybe.. or?
[ > DC - UniteD < ]

Typhoon

hey again.. right on that one, have'nt tryed Red Hat maybe i should.. and i dont get any error messages the system just halts with black screen??  tryed several times with mandrake 9.0 and suse 8.2 pro, and other Distros.... gonna try mandrake 9.2 when i have it burnt

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by Typhoon?
i can give i at try  :)

Runinng on :

AMD xp2700+ ,1gb ddr pc2700,ECS L7VTA KT400 onboard LAN chipset, MSI GF4 TI 4800SE 128ddr agp 8x,
creative SB 4.1 digital,3 maxtor hardrives on 30gb(os) 120+80GB stuff.. 1cdrw,1dvdrom

Sytem is running 333mhz FSB....

hope this helps otherwise just ask..
right now i am downing Mandrake 9.2 so lets hope .

***Typhoon?

Ok this is perfectly all fine with Mandrakes, there must be either a hardware conflict of mebbe the hmmmmmmmmm, cud be a few things...............
Resistance is futile!

pHaTTy

QuoteOriginally posted by klownietklowniet
FreeBSD is Unix and is freeware... :-)

So are other falvours of BSD. They are just as good as linux, maybe even better, all depends on purpose.

I don't see RedHat on your list. It's the one that gives the least intallation problems in my experience atleast. Why does the installation halt? What error message do you get? It usually stops to ask for the next cd. Do you get a problem to resume from there maybe.. or?

Ur perfectly right there m8, it is much easier to learn it too, but personally i dont like RedHat, and it does not do as much as Mandrakes, fortuanatle Mandrakes is becoming the easier one to use

And BSD...................cr** ;)

i suppose it depends on how long u have used them, but my all time fav is SuSE Linux, but harder to use, which is y i sugest Mandrakes ;)

l8rr,,

-phatty
Resistance is futile!

Typhoon

back again!

if i start the install of mandrake inside WinXP  does installs over and delete XP or will it just install as a secondary OS???

or do i have to make a sepperat partition again ?

***Typhoon?

pHaTTy

Well, Xp is a tw@, so what will happen is it wil install and make a boot selector, XP will still be on the hdd, and it will automaically partition ur hdd, also at end of first disk install, it will tell you that it has stored ur old boot sector, write the command down just in case sumit goes wrong and you restore ur old boot
Resistance is futile!

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by (uk-kingdom)pH?tt?
And BSD...................cr** ;)
-phatty
bsd is a lot harder then any linux version, specialy openbsd, but it's way more secure/stable.
look here.
best is indeed 2 start with linux.
1st i tryed was netbsd on an amiga and took me a couple day's before i could even start the install (real tricky way, copy the install files 2 an unformated disk and start the install from there).
don't try this @ home.  lol

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk