Poll on Profiles, AIO scripts used.

Poll on Profiles, AIO scripts used.

Started by HaArD, 06 March, 2009, 22:25:05

Previous topic - Next topic

HaArD

I'm hoping to get a better sense of how existing hub owners are using the Profile Manager to ensure my script for Hub-Link will work is as many configurations as possible.

CrazyGuy

The API provides calls to handle such flexibility.
You may want to check out

• ProfMan.GetProfiles()
  • ProfMan.GetProfilePermissions(nProfileNumber)

HaArD

I know that. The poll is about what hubs are using, not the API functions.

The infinite flexibilty of the profiles structure makes it very difficult to create a standard approach that works across many hubs. I will obviously support the initial default setup but I'm trying to determine what other configuration are worth the effort to code support for them.

CrazyGuy

Quote from: HaArD on 09 March, 2009, 20:14:45
The infinite flexibilty of the profiles structure makes it very difficult to create a standard approach that works across many hubs.

I'm trying to say it's not that difficult actually when using the right calls. That means, you can support everything ;)

HaArD

I'm saying I think you don't understand the problem.

How does a script know which profile should be used for a new registration?
If a script is going to promote a user to an Operator what profile should be used? From what profile is that a promotion?
You can't promote an OP to VIP but how do you know which profiles outrank which?

Obviously I could force the hubowners into a design of my choosing (thus limiting the flexibility of my script or making it incompatible with other scripts that took a similar approach) but if I'm trying not to do that....

I could also query every profile, and every permission, and try to sort the profiles into a hierarchical structure, but that would be an essentially arbitrary exercise which again, would enfore my perspective on the hubowner, removing flexibilty.

Thus I posted a poll.... I will support "out of the box" Profiles of 0 Master, 1 Op, 2 VIP, 3 Reg.

I'm trying to figure out what other models I should provide built in support for.

If the hubowner has created 15 unique profiles with varying levels of permissions then I'll assume they are capable of tweaking the supplied script to meet their needs.

CrazyGuy

Quote from: HaArD on 11 March, 2009, 22:11:24
How does a script know which profile should be used for a new registration?
If a script is going to promote a user to an Operator what profile should be used? From what profile is that a promotion?
You can't promote an OP to VIP but how do you know which profiles outrank which?

Quote from: HaArD on 11 March, 2009, 22:11:24
I could also query every profile, and every permission, and try to sort the profiles into a hierarchical structure,

PtokaX does this too in a way. Profiles are sorted by ranking with profile 0 having the highest ranking down to profile <#profiles> being the lowest in ranking.
Profile Permissions are also sorted as they are bitmasks with the more important permissions towards the MSB and the less important permissions towards the LSB. If you convert this bitmask to an integer the profiles with the most permissions will have the highest values.

HaArD

I hear what you are saying but ti still feels a lot like guessing.... quantity of permissions says nothing about quality....

I've grabbed the default profiles from Grimoire and Dixbot and I think I'll supply basic configuration for those two plus the "off the shelf" profiles. If there is a need for anything else it certainly hasn't come up yet.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk