the perfect hubsoftware

News:

29 December 2022 - PtokaX 0.5.3.0 (20th anniversary edition) released...
11 April 2017 - PtokaX 0.5.2.2 released...
8 April 2015 Anti child and anti pedo pr0n scripts are not allowed anymore on this board!
28 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 for Windows 10 IoT released...
3 September 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.1 released...
16 August 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.2.0 released...
1 August 2015 - Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX ended. Clearly nobody want ADC support...
30 June 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.1.0 released...
30 April 2015 Crowdfunding for ADC protocol support in PtokaX
26 April 2015 New support hub!
20 February 2015 - PtokaX 0.5.0.3 released...
13 April 2014 - PtokaX 0.5.0.2 released...
23 March 2014 - PtokaX testing version 0.5.0.1 build 454 is available.
04 March 2014 - PtokaX.org sites were temporary down because of DDOS attacks and issues with hosting service provider.

Main Menu

the perfect hubsoftware

Started by shimura, 20 July, 2004, 17:24:57

Previous topic - Next topic

shimura

Seeing the lack of development with hub softwares recently, one could get the following idea:

What about creating a hubsoft with ptokax-like features, but with two (relevant) differences:

- it is Open Source and
- it is maintained and developed.

Anyone in here would take the chance and join such a project? There is no detailed plan at all, yet. This thread is just about determining your interest in creating a new hubsoftware. I dont even have a clue about which language to choose, but the best bet will probably be C++/C#.

However, if one of you is interested in improving hubsoftware devevelopment, or whatever, please contribute to this thread. thanks :-)

Sudds

hmm an open source hub software i dont think that would be a good idea for a few reasons, the main one being security.
Sudds

shimura

well, i am not an advocate of "security by obscurity". but thats me. imo, you have to ensure security by design and implementation + by reevalution of other developers, not by hiding the source.

[NL]Pur

shimura why are you hiding behind a proxy?

scared for something ?

shimura

yes, scared of moderators who are bored enough to play with the ip of every user in their forums. and i was right again here. you just did the proof yourself .. maybe you didnt even realize? ;))

Herodes

QuoteOriginally posted by shimura
yes, scared of moderators who are bored enough to play with the ip of every user in their forums. and i was right again here. you just did the proof yourself .. maybe you didnt even realize? ;))

Proove what? and to who ? lol

Cyberia

lol  :D
keep track at the thread guys.
think this is going to end in a big discussion about something else.  :D

[NL]Pur

Quoteyes, scared of moderators who are bored enough to play with the ip of every user in their forums. and i was right again here. you just did the proof yourself .. maybe you didnt even realize? ;))

i guessed since you sound as a regular but you just signed up.

So why not just use your normal nick ? Must i cooperate with someone who changes often of identy.

shimura

Quotekeep track at the thread guys.
think this is going to end in a big discussion about something else.

well spotted.;)) All i have done so far was asking who would like to join the above project. Although three ppl have posted in this thread so far, i may not even decide if even one of them is going to contribute.

QuoteMust i cooperate with someone who changes often of identy
You "must" not do anything at all.

However, is there somebody interested in joined development?

[NL]Pur

well , yes

i lack in c++ and c#
so only if it's in Java i want to join. Since you let the   language open. It's more up to you to say that.

shimura

I could do java too.

The thing is, that java is still said to be cruel slow in terms of performance. So i doubt one could get close to any used hubsoftware. But on the other hand we would have platform independency inclusive, so it would be worth a try.

D-J Valhala

can the hubsoft be made so can work with Unix/Linux And Windows? :D
and work with *.lua And *.perl scripts?  ?(
My PsyIsrael Network
==================
--=[PsyIsrael DC Hub]=--
--=[PsyIsrael Website]=--
==================

[NL]Pur

QuoteThe thing is, that java is still said to be cruel slow in terms of performance.

that a myth. Java is not slow :)

I've no experience with the new i/o framework, but 'they' claim it to be faster then the c++ variants.
i sure want to try it out.

shimura

i think http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/nio/example/index.html should help us to get started with java.nio (especially the NBTimeServer.java ). Although there are lots of other examples on the net, just waiting to get explored.

About lua-scripts (or even perl): it wouldn't be worth even a single cent without scripting, would it? I just have found an example for lua+java too ;))

[NL]Pur

i can point to some other websites, but i guess this thread is about getting ppl to your dev. team.

Do you have any other place to discuss futher details about this new hub software ?

shimura

you might be right here, so lets stop the enthusiasm and wait for other people to join, or even getting interested.

About another place: i dont have one yet. we may meet anywhere else. but as the main target should be to create a ptokax equivalent, this place is just so suiting.

btw: i just downloaded "Java NIO" from O'Reilly. looks like nice stuff ;))

plop

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudds
hmm an open source hub software i dont think that would be a good idea for a few reasons, the main one being security.
Sudds
this is a totaly false thing which many ppl think.
the best example of how wrong this statement is, is openbsd.
it's the most secure operating system and it's open source.
if the whole world can see the source, the whole world can see posible securety leaks and also fix them.
beside how could you be sure that something is save without seeing the source??
the only way you can be sure a car has a airbag is 2 grab a screwdriver and openup the dash. lol
ok you could drive against the wall with the car and "pray" that there really is an airbag.

plop
http://www.plop.nl lua scripts/howto\'s.
http://www.thegoldenangel.net
http://www.vikingshub.com
http://www.lua.org

>>----> he who fights hatred with hatred, drives the spreading of hatred <----<<

shimura

Looks [NL]Pur and me are the only ones for developing so far.

Are there other people who want to support the hub? e.g. in terms of hosting, testing, adding feature requests etc.?
Especially we would need some kind of forum (if we cant do here) :))

[NL]Pur

i can setup a PHP forum,

shimura

great! altough i wonder if we should stick to sourceforge or start without using their technologies first.
otoh we should try to proove asap that java is suitable for a dchub - i cant wait to get nio working ;))
so maybe an own forum with full control setup by your own would be better for know

[NL]Pur

here we go forum
it's needs some settings change but it will do for now.

shimura

great, i am there now ;))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk