How to automatically download a magnet link ?

How to automatically download a magnet link ?

Started by Kanubach, 15 January, 2009, 16:01:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanubach

Hi.

I have already post this request on another forum, and you suggest me to migrate to Ptokax 4.1.1/Lua 5.1.3. I done it.

I use a bot as FreshStuff that records members's stuffs on a file, with the magnet link for each stuff. The declaration of a new stuff is made with a specific command that is trapped by my bot.

Now, I want (uniquely for some members) that, when a new stuff is declared, the bot send to the client a command that simulates un clic on the corresponding magnet, ie that it starts the download of the corresponding file.

I have searched into the API2, but I have not found anything about this. Nor in the forum.

Can you help me please ?

Thank's a lot.

PPK

Here is no way to force client to download something when hub owner want that ::)
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

Kanubach

Clients may subscribe to this functionnality or not, the hub owner do not decide for them, and we are only 5 or 6 members on this hub (private) for a very specific activity.

My question is technical, not organisational.

If there is not solution, OK.
But if it is possible, I would be very happy to know it.

The purpose is to permit the clients to automatically download stuff when they are not in front of their screen (at office, the night, etc.)

CrazyGuy

PPK

Quote from: Kanubach on 15 January, 2009, 17:04:00
Clients may subscribe to this functionnality or not
Then you need to ask client developers if they add that. As far as i know it is not possible with actual clients.
"Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris." - Larry Wall

HaArD

Actually you might be able to accomplish what you want with a combined Hub and Client script if your clients were willing to use BCDC++ (or another derivative that supports client side scripting). Actually I think ApexDC++ also suports an LUA plug-in.

The only active link I've found for BCDC++ is this mirror: http://bcdc.dccafe.org/bcdc/en/default.asp the main site is unresponsive http://utrum.dyndns.org:8000/

I've only played with the LUA implementation in BCDC++ a little bit so I'm not certain the API has what you need but if not you'll have to get a client dev to do some work for you as PPK suggested. It would probably be easier to get something done for the LUA API then a new feature in the client though.....

CrazyGuy

Afaik client-side scripting does not allow this either. You will always need some sort of 3rd party software or write it as a protocol extension and implement it in both hub and client.
Starting downloads of files, especially programs, from a remote location is generally seen as virus-like activity.
I for one would not want such action to happen unattended. I do not even allow Windows Update to install anything without prompting me first  ;D

HaArD

Sure but there's a big difference between a virii and a Windows updates*.......

*Virii can be removed by several readily available tools and information about what they've done to you PC and what private information they've shared is easily found on the internet.

HaArD

I hear what you are saying but you don't know the environment this hub is running in, Kanubach already stated it's a small hub with only 5-6 users and that the users should have option to subscribe to this value added feature.

The old adage is don't download/run files from an untrusted source.... So what if the hubowner is a trusted source?

Perhaps in Kanubach's situation automatically downloading based on Magnet links provided by the hub may be something all the users wish they could do....

I can certainly envision the possibilities for abuse too, but, to say that the technology itself is a bad idea is to blame the technology for how it might be abused by an unscrupulous person.

I don't see a problem with a client that enabled this type of solution as long as it was disabled by default and included the same type of warnings that IRC clients, IM Clients and other similar apps provide when you enable the automatic downloading of files from remote sources.

Thor

I don't know exactly how magnet works, I've just checked the source. I think it might be possible via a client script with os.execute, because magnet.exe waits /url <TTH> as parameter, and the user can set up the default action without question. This function is avaible just in RSX++ as I see, which supports Lua scripts, so I think it's possible to implement this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk