PtokaX > Feature Proposals

Replacing xml configuration files with text/binary files

<< < (2/3) > >>

bastya_elvtars:
Moreover, settings could directly be read from scripts and there would be no need to maintain the C code of PtokaX wrt the retrieval of them. But the strongest argument IMHO is that since many scripts have configuration options (obviously) written in Lua, PtokaX should also have them this way, so everything could be set up the same way. Even there could be a standardized configuration format, so configuring a script would provide the same 'experience' as configuring PtokaX. It would be a dream for the console version users.
(Personal opinion: XML is not good for humans nor computers :D)

WAJIM:
I've no problems with xml's load/save speed. My hub has ~5000 regnicks.  ::)

I vote against a binary format since it will be very difficult for editing manually.  >:(

PPK:

--- Quote from: WAJIM on 10 August, 2011, 10:29:40 ---I've no problems with xml's load/save speed. My hub has ~5000 regnicks.  ::)
--- End quote ---
If you have fast CPU then you don't notice that. But hub is freezed for few hundred miliseconds on reglist save  :-\

Test on my AMD Athlon X2 5050e (2.6GHz) with 10000 regs.
XML file: Load 312ms. Save 297ms. File size 1 477 892 bytes.
Binary file: Load 16ms. Save 0ms (crazy :o ). File size 387 827 bytes.

--- Quote from: WAJIM on 10 August, 2011, 10:29:40 ---I vote against a binary format since it will be very difficult for editing manually.  >:(

--- End quote ---
You can add/change/remove regs from GUI or from Lua, i'm sure that 99,9% of users don't need to edit regs/bans file manually  ::)

WAJIM:

--- Quote from: PPK on 21 August, 2011, 21:46:36 ---If you have fast CPU then you don't notice that. But hub is freezed for few hundred miliseconds on reglist save  :-\
--- End quote ---
Even 300ms freezes every 5 minutes cfg autosave (for my scripts) - not critical.  ::)

PPK:
You like laggy hub, others don't. They complained that hub lags when PtokaX saving data, so i'm removed automatic save after changes. Now they complains that they losing data because hub is not saving data after change... I can't fix both when xml is used for data  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version